Since 2005, Kutak Rock’s diversity and inclusiveness efforts have been led by the firm’s National Inclusiveness and Diversity Committee (NIDC). We are pleased to announce this year’s members:
- Brian Bartels, Omaha, co-chair
- Meredith Webster, Kansas City, co-chair
- Winnie Hawkins, Omaha, immediate past co-chair
- Stuart Hindmarsh, Rogers, immediate past co-chair
- Vanessa Alvarez, Scottsdale
- Miriam Blair, National, Inclusive Engagement Department
- Susie Carlson, Omaha
- Mia Della Cava, Denver
- Deb Froling, Washington, D.C.
- Hilary Jackler, Washington, D.C., firm vice chair
- John Petr, Omaha, firm chair
- Leslie Powell, Atlanta
- Ellen Rosenstiel, National, Human Resources Department
- Jessica Shaham, Los Angeles
- Mika Sharpe, Washington, D.C.
The NIDC is tasked with creating a three-year Diversity, Equity, and Inclusiveness (DEI) Strategic Plan that aligns the firm’s organizational systems with firmwide strategic inclusiveness and diversity goals. Each three-year plan remains in development for over a year and is the result of in-depth research and analysis of industry best practices and trends, compiled client questionnaires, and the results of a firmwide survey.
The firm’s current three-year DEI Strategic Plan is drawing to a close and a new one is currently in the creation stage. It takes effect in July 2023.
"We’re excited for the ideas and innovations that committee members will develop over the next few years,” said Ms. Webster, one of the NIDC’s new co-chairs.
Mr. Bartels, who is also serving as a new NIDC co-chair, added, “We’re grateful for committee members’ passion and support as we confront not only the challenges, but also the opportunities to help move the firm forward as we all work toward the goal of equity in the legal community."
Drafts of the DEI Strategic Plan are discussed by firm leadership at multiple levels, and the plan is approved by the firm’s highest governing committee. The Plan’s internal goals center on fostering a culture of inclusiveness, including specific three-year goals to improve systems and structures related to inclusive work environments, equal opportunity and compositional diversity along with external goals to enhance inclusiveness and diversity in the legal profession.