- J.D., University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Arizona
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Editorial Board for The Missouri Bar Journal (former vice-chair)
- Missouri Land Title Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
Banking & Creditors’ Rights
Clients turn to John for counsel on commercial real estate matters for selling, purchase, or financing, Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, general corporate matter, commercial loan enforcement including workouts, restructuring, receivership cases and real estate foreclosures. John works with various banks and other financial institutions in Kansas and Missouri on a variety of banking matters, including regulatory issues.
John has extensive experience in real estate transactions, with projects including sales, acquisitions, lending, and development for land development projects. Representative matters also include underground mining transactions, residential condominium projects, and mixed use projects. His work involves expertise with Community Development Districts (CIDs) and Neighborhood Improvement Districts (NIDs), as well as assisting clients with land development matters and zoning issues to develop mixed-use and residential property. His work in the area of title insurance is extensive and covers policy coverage issues, title insurance litigation in connection with insureds under various title insurance policies and he works with title insurance underwriters and agencies involved in claims and litigation against them.
- Title Insurance Continuing Education Requirement, Lathrop Gage, 2017
- “Preparation of Data and Documents Litigation,” Missouri Land Title Association, 2015-2017
- “Basic and Advance Land Descriptions,” Kansas Land Title Association, 2000-2017
- “Understanding Legal Descriptions,” Annual Real Estate Institute, MoBAR CLE, 2016
- “Bankruptcy for Contracts and Other Legal Topics,” UMKC Engineering Class, 2013-2015
Banking & Creditors’ Rights
- Successfully represented a bank with a complex $12.5 million construction loan, which involved multiple borrowers and multiple lots with complex construction and leasing issues.
- Represented bank in complex workout in Chapter 11 bankruptcy case involving several million in loans made to a borrower entity secured by real estate and other assets. The lender received 100% payout under plan after efforts to negotiate plan terms for client.
- Successfully represented lender in defense of claim for breach of settlement agreement with option to purchase land sought by adjoining land owner on summary judgment that allowed lender to sell land after foreclosure.
- Represented bank client in a foreclosure action where borrower was accused of setting fire to the property that served as the bank’s collateral. After determination of issues by insurance company, successfully negotiated resolution of the bank’s claim with insurance company that netted 100% payment to the bank of all debt owed by the borrower.
- Represented bank in various loan transactions for multimillion-dollar construction loans and permanent financing transactions. Documented every aspect of the loan, which had multiple parties and complex loan documents, with a borrower and several guarantors that included trusts.
- Represented bank on several loans where borrowers were alleged to have engaged in illegal flipping of houses and brought actions for fraud against borrowers. Obtained judgment for amounts owed and then held non-dischargeable in borrowers’ bankruptcy cases.
- Large land acquisition for client involving about 2,000 acres.
- Sale of land for client that involved Community Improvement Districts (CIDs) and transfer of certain rights for development purposes.
- Acquisition to assist client with development issues, zoning approvals and plat approvals to develop mixed-use commercial and residential property.
- Several transactions involving underground mining operations throughout Kansas City area from sale, lending, and reclamation and regulatory issues.
- Lending transactions that involved gambling facilities and related assets and regulatory related issues for lenders.
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2012-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV Preeminent” Rating