eDiscovery and Information Management
Kutak Rocks handles the electronic discovery and information management needs of some of the largest companies in the world, while also providing these same cost effective services to much smaller organizations. eDiscovery and information management is an important component for all clients whether they are faced with litigation or just trying to implement an effective data retention policy. Kutak Rock understands that one size does not fit all. Because it no longer makes sense for many clients to approach eDiscovery and information management on an ad hoc basis, we provide clients with an integrated and proactive approach that meets each client’s unique eDiscovery and information management needs.
The Kutak Rock team is comprised of attorneys with extensive litigation, corporate and IP/IT backgrounds so we understand what it means to be in the trenches of litigation discovery, which is often different than simply theorizing a hypothetical “best practice” that may not be practical in a particular litigation setting. Businesses turn to us to help them understand how to lawfully manage their electronic data, from databases to emails, and how to respond efficiently if a lawsuit is filed or a government request for information is received. By focusing on key eDiscovery issues, Kutak Rock puts clients in a winning position—whether on summary judgment, or through a negotiated settlement or at trial.
Kutak Rock’s eDiscovery and Information Management Group understands the IT infrastructure and operations of our clients. Some of the services offered by Kutak Rock include:
- Prepare, implement and refine records retention policies
- Negotiate Master Services Agreements with technology companies that provide software or platforms to efficiently manage and review records
- Provide litigation readiness counseling, including advice regarding document preservation and spoliation, ESI Protocols, legal hold notices, quick peek agreements, protective orders, collection
- and document review strategy, deposition preparation, motion practice and all other eDiscovery issues that may arise under federal and state rules
- Assist clients with the development of response plans for litigation and government/regulatory investigations
For all litigation matters, Kutak Rock will:
- Implement a strategy from the start on how best to handle eDiscovery as an offensive tool, as well as a means to cost effectively manage defensive efforts.
- Identify ways to minimize costs without jeopardizing case strategy
- Ensure that state of the art technology is used in order to minimize time needed on document review
- Sensibly manage all phases of discovery (e.g. identification, preservation, collection, review and production)
Our attorneys are nationally and internationally recognized eDiscovery experts and are frequently sought out as speakers on key eDiscovery topics. Indeed, the Chair of the eDiscovery and Information Management Group founded the National eDiscovery Leadership Institute (NeLI). NeLI is a nationally recognized high end eDiscovery conference that brings together people from all over the country to engage in a full-day eDiscovery program comprised of the very best eDiscovery talent from the bench, private practice, in-house counsel, and government attorneys.