- J.D., Ave Maria School of Law, magna cum laude; Senior Editor, Ave Maria Law Review
- B.A., Trinity University
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
William is a member of the firm’s Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Practice Group, concentrating on all federal regulatory and tax implications related thereto. His expertise is based on his deep experience with the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (“ERISA”) and related federal tax implications associated with employee benefit plans and executive compensation arrangements. He concentrates his practice primarily in the areas of employee benefits/ERISA law, qualified and nonqualified retirement plans, nonprofit retirement arrangements, employee stock ownership plans and executive compensation and benefits arrangements for public and private companies and individual executives.
His experience includes qualified and nonqualified plan design and legal compliance, Internal Revenue Code Section 409A issues, stock option and other equity compensation design and compliance, employee stock ownership compliance and administrative matters, IRS and DOL practices and procedures, fiduciary compliance and procedure, retirement committee practices, plan corrections and filings, and employment contracts and arrangements.
- Assisting clients in plan design and drafting, including related documentation such as summary plan descriptions, plan restatements, trust agreements and board resolutions
- Reviewing existing plan documents and related documentation for federal legal compliance and maximization of benefits for both employee and employer
- Preparing and reviewing auditors’ reports, annual plan reports and disclosures, service provider documents and agreements and required notices to plan participants to comply with federal law.
- Assisting clients in selecting service providers
- Representing clients in connection with filings with the IRS and DOL including determination letter applications and correction filings for both qualified and nonqualified retirement and deferred compensation plans
- Informing clients of federal legal and regulatory developments regarding employee benefits and executive compensation matters, including preparing client alerts and employee benefits/executive compensation newsletters
- Advising clients regarding employee benefits and executive compensation matters surrounding corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions
- Assisting and advising clients regarding federal securities and human resources law implications of employee benefits and executive compensation matters
- Advising committees who administer employee benefits plans and other plan fiduciaries regarding their duties, plan administration and investment review to comply with federal law.
- Reviewing required plan testing for federal legal compliance and accuracy