- J.D., Washburn University School of Law
- B.S., Wichita State University
Prior to joining Kutak Rock, Brian was a manufacturing engineer (for five years) and a structural analyst (for eight years) at The Boeing Company in Wichita, Kansas and Seattle, Washington. Relying on his previous engineering experience, Brian assists and guides clients through every phase of a product’s life cycle. Because of the nature of his numerous engineering projects, Brian is also intimately familiar with the additional concerns created when products fall within the jurisdiction of a restrictive government agency.
- Drafting and prosecuting utility and design patent applications.
- Advising and assisting clients regarding branding strategies, including (as appropriate) registration of trademarks and service marks.
- Preparing legal opinions relating to utility and design patents, including patentability, non-infringement, right-to-use, invalidity, and design-around opinions.
- Advising clients on both offensive and defensive intellectual property strategies, including establishment of documentary support for prior user rights defenses.
- Negotiating and drafting license agreements, non-disclosure agreements, technology development agreements, employee and contractor invention and work made for hire agreements, and other similar agreements.
- Reviewing, drafting, and advising clients on M & A transactions, corporate formation and governance documents, asset and technology transfer documents, and cooperative research and development agreements with the U.S. government.
Representative engineering projects include:
- Developing manufacturing and tooling plans for new products.
- Analyzing structural strength and stability for new and modified products.
- Coordinating with shop mechanics to solve manufacturing and structural issues on active production lines and modification programs.
- Collecting, filtering, and analyzing test data, including flight-test data.
- Coordinating with FAA representatives and project managers.
- Coordinating tear-down and inspection efforts to assess products liability and other concerns