We are industry enthusiasts, passionate about the work we do on behalf of our clients and equally passionate about the firearms industry. We know your products, how they’re made, distributed and most important–how they work, and we own and use a wide variety of industry products. We have a compelling story to tell about how we work with clients–a story that includes deep experience, amazing relative geography and a cost structure that delivers true value.
We are the only AmLaw 200 firm with a national firearms industry group. While other law firms might claim they serve the industry, we have more than 20 lawyers focused on the business and legal needs of firearm, ammunition and accessory manufacturers, and dealers and ranges. We offer turnkey service, able to serve every legal need our clients require. We are a true industry group.
Our counsel is national in scope and covers the full spectrum of business, dispute resolution, litigation and regulatory matters. Our clients range from small manufactures of pistols, rifles, ammunition and accessories to large multinational manufactures, exporters and governmental contractors. The multi-disciplinary group, made up of attorneys coast-to-coast, advises clients on their everyday operational issues as well as sophisticated transactions that are critical to their success. So while we are a large national law firm that can handle the largest of transactions, our teams and services are scalable to fit your company size and business objectives. When business-critical matters arise, we can and will “call in the cavalry.” Day-to-day, however, you’ll find us to be relationship-driven attorneys who have a real and personal interest in your business and your success.
We help manufacturers with:
- Licensing and Regulatory Compliance
- ITAR – Import and Export
- NFA Firearms Dealers and Manufacturers (SOTs)
- Excise Tax
- Patent and Intellectual Property
- Corporate Finance
- E-Commerce/Internet/Cyber-Risk Law
- Government Contract Disputes
- Corporate Compliance
- Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- Sales, Distribution and Dealer Agreements
- Commercial and Products Liability Litigation
- Insurance and Risk ManagementReal Estate and Development
We represent dealers and distributors of firearms, ammunition and industry-related hard goods in a full spectrum of corporate governance, contracting, litigation and regulatory matters. We regularly advise on business acquisition, growth and expansion and other complex transactions crucial to our clients’ success.
In addition to representing single-store licensees, we counsel local brick and mortar dealers, multi-store operators, local and national on-line distributors and pawn shops. We are uniquely positioned to understand the pressures and issues firearms and ammunition dealers face in managing day-to-day activities, as well as regulatory and licensing issues bearing on our clients’ business.
We assist dealers with:
- Tax credits for land acquisition and development
- Growth plans, including capital acquisitions, mergers and acquisitions and public offerings
- Corporate structure, including updating bylaws, creating policy and separating various sales units (i.e. retail firearms/ammo, soft lines, gunsmith services and ranges) into stand-alone entities
- Regulatory compliance
- Deal, manufacturer and retail licenses, including state variances
- ITAR – Import and Export
- ATF audits
- Best practices - training, POS procedure, handbooks and range incidents
- Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) - counseling and defense
We advise owners and operators of shooting ranges throughout the U.S. on a wide range of legal issues. We provide unparalleled depth, resources and experience to range operators.
Whether you operate a small family-owned outdoor range facility, or a state of the art indoor tactical training center, we deliver industry-tailored legal advice for the full range of legal issues confronting range owners, including state, EPA and OSHA compliance and enforcement issues, land use regulation and noise abatement, retail firearm ammunitions sale and rental regulations. Our team regularly counsels range owners on employment matters, supply chain management and vendor issues, protection of trademarks, trade names and intellectual property.
We advise FFL holding ranges on the retail sale and distribution of firearms, ammunition and regulated accessories. We counsel on the proper handling and disposal of spent ammunition and targets and filters, including contaminants such as lead, brass, TNT, PAH, RDX, nitroguanidine, depleted uranium and black powder. When regulators come knocking, we help range owners navigate through regulatory processes.
In today’s regulatory environment, range owners cannot afford to operate without proper policies and procedures in place to ensure full compliance necessary to protect workers, customers and the environment. Lead and noise exposure and the proper handling and disposal of lead waste are hot regulatory enforcement issues. Proper risk management policies are essential to avoid incidents that threaten worker and customer safety, regulatory citations and large fines.
- Business Formation
- Debt and Equity Financing
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Local Land Use Regulations
- Noise Abatement
- Real Estate
- Intellectual Property
- Workplace Safety
- Federal and State Compliance and Enforcement (OSHA, EPA, ATF)
- Lead Handling, Transport, Disposal and Contamination (TSCA, CAA, CWA, RCRA, CERCLA)