- J.D., Creighton University School of Law
- University of Washington, Pacific Coast Graduate School of Banking
- B.A., Creighton University
- U.S. Tax Court
- American Bar Association
- Creighton University Graduate College of Business, Adjunct Professor
- Creighton University College of Business, Adjunct Professor
Joe represents private and public companies, investment banks and financial institutions in corporate, finance, licensure, regulatory and taxation matters, including mergers and acquisitions, debt financings, participation and syndications, real estate syndications and corporate debt and equity finance nationwide. His practice involves providing representation and advice concerning all aspects of corporate and real estate finance, corporate structuring and project finance and development to developers, investors, bankers and sponsors involved in the firearms industry, energy facilities, telecommunications, real estate, agriculture and financial institutions.
Joe has a deep expertise in the understanding, analysis and application of the statutes, rules, regulations and interpretations of the National Firearms Act (NFA), the Gun Control Act of 1968, the Arms Export Control Act, the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Regulations and state laws and local ordinances related to firearms dealers, gunsmiths, manufacturers of firearms and ammunitions and firearms and ammunition importers and exporters. Joe represents entities involved in the firearms industry in their licensure, regulation, structure, organization, financing and ongoing compliance, which includes domestic and international firearms manufacturers, ammunition manufacturers, firearms dealers, firearms importers and exporters, and banks and other financial entities providing financing to the firearms industry.
Joe regularly interacts with state and federal regulators including the BATFE, U.S. State Department, U.S. Department of Commerce as well as the offices of various states' attorneys general and local enforcement authorities.
Joe is well versed in firearms regulation and licensure as well as acquisition, disposition and financing of entities involved in the firearms industry.
- Counsel to a developer and a national bank in a large wind farm financing.
- Assists clients in the structure and syndication of securities and debentures.
- Represents lenders and borrowers in large loan transactions including syndicated offerings.
- Represents merchant banking clients in the structure, financing and acquisition of targeted entities.
- Assists large corporations with implementing merger and acquisition strategies.
- Assists syndicators and sponsors of real estate transactions with the issuance of securities and Section 1031 TIC transactions.
- Assists investment bankers with acquiring public companies, raising capital for the acquisitions and developing tax structures for the transactions and assisting public financial institutions with acquiring various financial and non-financial institutions.
- Counsel to firearms manufacture in Firearms Ammunition and Excise Tax (FAET) Dispute
- Counsel to a firearms manufacturer in the sale of equity to a publically held manufacturer.
- Counsel to a firearms manufacturer in a dispute about state importation regulations.
- Counsel to a firearms manufacturer in an international trafficking in arms regulation dispute with the Department of State.
- Counsel to ammunition manufacturer in export trade matters
- Counsel to of a firearms manufacturer in a merger with an ammunition manufacturer.
- Counsel to firearms manufacturer in Offer in Compromise of FAET tax liability
- Represents a firearms dealer before ATF regarding license revocation.
- Represents FFL Dealers with respect to ATF Inspections.
- Assisted a financial institution in a debt financing to an ammunition manufacturer.
- Assisted an ammunition manufacturer in the acquisition of a firearms manufacturer.
- Represented of an ammunition manufacturer in the private placement of securities.