- J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Managing Editor, JURIST; Janavitz Fellow in First Amendment Law; Teaching Fellow, Marshall-Brennan Constitutional Literacy Project
- B.S., University of Nebraska at Omaha, cum laude; Department Honors for Scholarly Excellence in the Study of Political Science
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court of the Virgin Islands
- U.S. Virgin Islands
President, MICAH House Board of Directors
Nebraska Supreme Court Committee on Practice and Procedure
Nebraska Supreme Court Exhibits Work Group
Virgin Islands Bar Association
Legislation and Law Reform Committee
Continuing Legal Education Committee
Nebraska State Bar Association
Chair, Practice and Procedure Committee
House of Delegates
Appellate Practice Section Executive Committee
Professional Enhancement Committee
Iowa State Bar Association
Litigation Section Council Member
Agricultural Law Section Council Member
Omaha Bar Association Executive Council
Community Liaison, Robert M. Spire Inns of Court (2019-2022)
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Dwyer focuses his practice on appeals and commercial trial litigation in state and federal courts in Nebraska, Iowa, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
He has represented clients in commercial disputes at trial and on appeal in a wide range of cases involving class actions, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, corporate governance, agribusiness, tax appeals, product liability, and personal-injury defense, among others.
Dwyer’s appellate practice has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America©. Some of his litigation successes include:
- Defending favorable trial decisions when challenged on appeal in state and federal appeals courts;
- Obtaining next-day emergency reversal of a trial court order denying a stay pending appeal;
- Successfully presenting oral argument to a federal appeals court sitting en banc;
- Securing a writ of mandamus from a federal appeals court reinstating a client’s demand for a jury trial;
- Engaging in complex motions practice at trial and on appeal, including obtaining pre-trial dismissal of agribusiness, corporate governance, and product liability lawsuits, and successfully reducing the bond required to stay adverse trial verdicts during appeal.
Outside of his practice, Dwyer serves as President of the Board of Directors of MICAH House, a family emergency shelter providing temporary housing to members of the Omaha metro and western Iowa communities. Dwyer has volunteered hundreds of hours at the shelter, serving meals, sorting donations, and engaging in structured playtime with children experiencing the stress of living in the shelter.
Dwyer also serves on the Nebraska Supreme Court Committee on Practice and Procedure, and as Chair of the Nebraska State Bar Association Practice and Procedure Committee. In these roles, Dwyer has been involved in proposing legislation to the Nebraska Legislature, proposing amendments to court rules, and testifying in support of legislation.
In addition to his work in Nebraska, Dwyer was elected President of the Virgin Islands Bar Association, and serves as an active member of several bar committees. His work on those committees has included preparing proposals for legislative reform by the Virgin Islands Legislature, reviewing the qualifications of individuals seeking appointment to judicial positions, and serving as counsel to the Virgin Islands Bar Association.
Dwyer graduated from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law. There, he served as a staff writer and later as Managing Editor of JURIST. Before entering private practice, Dwyer clerked for Justice Maria M. Cabret of the Supreme Court of the Virgin Islands.
- 2021 Outstanding Young Lawyer, Nebraska State Bar Association
- 2021 President’s Award, Virgin Islands Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Appellate Practice, 2021-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Commercial Litigation, 2023
- The Best Lawyers in America© “Lawyer of the Year” in Omaha for Appellate Practice, 2023
- 2014 Employee of the Year, Supreme Court of the Virgin Islands