Consumer Protection Defense
We help companies across a wide range of industries navigate consumer protection regulations with which they must comply. Our highly experienced team is committed to helping clients stay in compliance and avoid litigation. We help clients navigate investigations and, when unavoidable, litigation. Whether our client is developing internal compliance policies, preparing for an external examination or investigation, or facing a class action lawsuit, we are well prepared to provide sound advice and representation.
- Our national team is well versed in federal and state consumer protection laws:
- Consumer lending and finance (FCRA, FACTA, TILA, ECOA, RESPA, etc.)
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau actions (CFPB, FTC, related DOJ actions)
- Risk-based pricing (Regulation Z)
- Debt collection and consumer credit (FDCPA and state consumer credit laws; CFPB enforcement)
- Privacy and identity theft protection (FTC Act Section 5, Red Flags Rule, Gramm-Leach-Bliley)
- Data breach response, management, and notification law compliance
- Telephone, fax, text, e-mail, and Internet marketing and communications (TCPA, Do-Not-Call, TSR, CAN-SPAM)
- Data collection, retention, and destruction rules
Our corporate, compliance and litigation attorneys collaborate to provide both proactive and preventative compliance advice, together with swift and effective defense of consumer protection claims. Our deep knowledge of regulatory and litigation trends translates to savvy advocacy. Our Washington, D.C. colleagues are in regular contact with federal regulators and is home to several former government attorneys who possess a deep understanding of the rulemaking and enforcement processes.