- J.D., Hamline University School of Law
- B.S.B.A., University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, cum laude
- Arizona (Certified Real Estate Specialist)
- Minnesota (inactive)
- Trustee, University of Wisconsin-Green Bay’s (UW-Green Bay) Phoenix Real Estate Foundation Board
- National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
- American Bar Association
As a member of the firm’s National Institutional Investments Group, Mark provides institutional clients insightful representation concerning their investments in private markets. He is a member of the National Association of Public Pension Attorneys and has represented pension plans in placing well over $1 billion of their assets in domestic and offshore deals. His representation concerning alternative investments consists primarily of negotiating and documenting private equity, hedge fund, commingled real estate and infrastructure transactions with fund counsel for international and domestic funds targeted by pension plan investment consultants. Such activities include the negotiation of limited partnership agreements, subscription agreements and side letters, addressing regulatory and investment policy compliance and ensuring investment staff’s business deal terms are fully realized.
Mark’s real estate practice includes negotiating and documenting scores of deals relating to the acquisition, leasing and financing of commercial real estate. He has also guided mid-market clients through the purchase and sale of companies in major industries, with an emphasis in service oriented businesses.
Mark is also a member of the firm’s Alternative and Renewable Energy Group and is involved in the representation of lenders and developers in solar and wind energy projects located in the Western United States.
Mark has assisted me on many occasions with real estate transactions large and small since 2005. He is particularly adept at quantifying risk, whether it be on an acquisition or sale. I find his advice and thoroughness to be critical in all my transactions.
- Bridgewater Pure Alpha Fund II, Ltd. $200 Million investment in a hedge fund trading in international futures, commodities, equity, fixed income, currency, options and other markets.
- FrontPoint Offshore Multi-Strategy Fund Series A, L.P. $75 million investment in a hedge fund established as a Cayman Islands limited partnership, seeking risk-adjusted absolute returns with low correlation to the broad equity and fixed-income markets utilizing multiple investment strategies.
- Global Ascent Ltd. $200 million investment in a hedge fund established as a Cayman Islands exempted company, seeking absolute returns by employing a long/short leveraged strategy in various global markets.
- Blackstone Capital Partners V-AC L.P. $30 million investment in a $12 billion Delaware limited partnership, in large cap companies in the United States and Western Europe.
- Goldman Sachs Credit Opportunities Institutional 2008 Fund, L.P. A $125 million investment in a Cayman Islands exempted limited partnership, in a portfolio of investments in publicly traded and privately held securities, derivatives and other instruments, primarily in the mortgage, asset-backed, commercial mortgage-backed and other mortgage-backed securities.
- Blackstone Real Estate Partners VI.TE2 L.P. $70 million investment in a $10.2 billion Delaware limited partnership managed by affiliates of the Blackstone Group in the commercial office and hotel properties, and publicly traded REITs.
Case of Interest
- Main I Limited Partnership v. Venture Capital Construction and Development Corporation, 154 Ariz. 256, 741 P.2d 1234 (App. 1987). The Arizona Court of Appeals found that a technical violation of notice requirements under Arizona’s statutory scheme for foreclosure by a private trustee under a power of sale was insufficient to overturn the trustee’s sale.
Various Continuing Legal Education and Client Presentations
- “Arizona Real Estate Transactions from Listing to Closing”
- “Commercial Real Estate Transactions”
- “Arizona Operating Agreements for Real Estate Transactions”
- “Arizona Mechanics’ Liens in a Nutshell”
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Commercial Litigation; Real Estate Law, 2023
- Martindale-Hubbell®, "AV Preeminent" Rating
- Arizona’s Finest Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Real Estate Law, 2016-2022