Our National Immigration team represents employees and employers of all sizes in the full range of immigration services. Led by compliance specialist Clete Samson and visa specialist Jon Schultz, the team delivers effective strategies that mitigate compliance risk, help resolve government audits and investigations and foster a diverse workforce through the effective and efficient preparation and filing of non-immigrant visas. The immigration practice provides a variety of services, including:
- Defense and representation in U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) civil and criminal workplace investigations and Form I-9 audits
- Providing assistance with regulatory compliance, including non-discriminatory hiring practices and Form I-9 employment eligibility verification best practices
- Representation of key executives or managers involved with criminal indictments or immigration detention and removal proceedings
- Implementation of regulation-complaint visa petitioning systems, including:
- J-1 Waivers (Including Conrad 30, IGA, and Hardship)
- H-1B Specialty work visas
- L-1 Intra-company transfer work visas
- E-3 Australian work visas
- O-1 Extraordinary ability worker visas
- P Athlete, artist and entertainment group visas
- TN NAFTA work visas
- PERM Labor Certification
- I-140 green card applications, and
- Adjustment of Status
- Developing response plans for agricultural businesses that would be greatly impacted by an invasive enforcement action conducted on worksite premises by law enforcement agencies
- Providing training to HR staff related to I-9 compliance and employment eligibility verification training, the proper response and handling of Social Security Administration correspondence, and the use of E-Verify
- Lobbying and policy advocacy services related to government affairs on immigration policy and regulations at state and federal levels of government
The group maintains a focus on immigration compliance and counseling by helping employers establish and maintain effective strategies and procedures for attracting and retaining foreign national employees.
Our immigration compliance services include internal audits and corrective measures related to employment eligibility verification training, internal audits of employment eligibility verification procedures, and advising clients on government verification programs. We also regularly advise employers on Social Security mismatches, I-9 compliance, employment verification, and anti-discrimination requirements.
A hallmark of our immigration practice is our ability to effectively advise and defend employers in DHS I-9 Audits. Our team has audited thousands of form I-9s in internal I-9 audits, and we have defended numerous employers in DHS investigations. We possess the necessary experience to help employers establish corporate immigration compliance before ICE visits, and to defend employers in ICE investigations.
We are also well-versed with the overlay between immigration and employment law associated with evaluating and hiring foreign workers. This includes assistance with drafting contracts and advising on appropriate retention and engagement strategies.