Our National Immigration team represents employees and employers of all sizes in the full range of immigration services. Led by a former U.S. Department of Homeland Security federal trial attorney recognized for audit work in immigration enforcement, the team delivers effective strategies that mitigate compliance risk, help resolve government audits and investigations and foster a diverse workforce through the effective and efficient preparation and filing of non-immigrant visas. The immigration practice provides a variety of services, including:
- Defense and representation in U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) civil and criminal workplace investigations and Form I-9 audits
- Providing assistance with regulatory compliance, including non-discriminatory hiring practices and Form I-9 employment eligibility verification best practices
- Representation of key executives or managers involved with criminal indictments or immigration detention and removal proceedings
- Identifying visa options for critical personnel and preparing and filing such visa petitions in most visa categories
- Developing response plans for agricultural businesses that would be greatly impacted by an invasive enforcement action conducted on worksite premises by law enforcement agencies
- Providing training to HR staff related to I-9 compliance and employment eligibility verification training, the proper response and handling of Social Security Administration correspondence, and the use of E-Verify
- Lobbying and policy advocacy services related to government affairs on immigration policy and regulations at state and federal levels of government
The group maintains a focus on immigration compliance and counseling by helping employers establish and maintain effective strategies and procedures for attracting and retaining a workforce that complies with state and federal immigration regulations. Our immigration compliance services include internal audits and corrective measures related to employment eligibility verification training, internal audits of employment eligibility verification procedures, and advising clients on government verification programs. We also regularly advise employers on Social Security mismatches, I-9 compliance, employment verification, and anti-discrimination requirements.
A hallmark of our immigration practice is our ability to effectively advise and defend employers in DHS I-9 Audits. Our team has audited thousands of form I-9s in internal I-9 audits, and we have defended numerous employers in DHS investigations. We possess the necessary experience to help employers establish corporate immigration compliance before ICE visits, and to defend employers in ICE investigations.
We are also well-versed with employment law issues associated with employers bringing and hiring foreign workers. We routinely assist with employment-related visas including:
- H1-B Specialty work visas
- L-1 Intra-company transfer work visas
- E-3 Australian work visas
- O-1 Extraordinary ability worker visas
- P Athlete, artist and entertainment group visas
- TN NAFTA work visas
Additionally, we assist with employment-based permanent residence filings, involving the PERM Labor Certification petition and adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident.