- J.D., Creighton University School of Law, magna cum laude; Editor in Chief, Creighton Law Review
- B.S.E. and B.S., Duke University
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- Colorado (inactive)
Kamaal is a registered patent attorney with the USPTO and a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property and Information Technology Group. He assists clients with selling or procuring license rights to intellectual property assets, including software, hardware, data, and cloud services. He has worked closely with IT departments and technology professionals across a number of industries, including healthcare, cable and internet, insurance, and data analytic services. He also prepares and advises on technology-related policies and regulations, including privacy rights and information security.
Kamaal has extensive experience assisting with the licensing and commercialization of valuable data assets and analytic tools and has helped manage the preparation and negotiation of commercial contracts for one of the largest data analytic companies in the world, including contracts for manufacturing planning purposes, media buying purposes, campaign measurement solutions, and broker services.
- Preparing and negotiating technology agreements for clients in the areas of complex software and maintenance services, health information technology and services, data analytics and custom software development.
- Negotiating complex data use agreements and disclosure rights for big data, including retail manufacturing and digital marketing analytics.
- Advising clients regarding the use and deployment of cloud services, colocation leases, and data centers.
- Creating technology vendor due-diligence policies, including form contracts, onboarding materials, audit checklists, and negotiation playbooks.
- Counseling clients regarding commercialization and joint-development agreements for intellectual property covering software and data analytics, as well as animal production.
- Negotiated a multimillion-dollar data licensing agreement between a data analytic company and a private label food and beverage manufacturer.
- Prepared and negotiated terms to an intensive, short-term engineering transformation and infrastructure remediation consulting project for more than $1 million required by a leading international provider of hosting and managed application services.
- Led a review of DEA regulations on the electronic prescription of controlled substances for a large covered entity, including explanation of identity proofing and two-factor authentication requirements.
- Conducted a HIPAA security policy review for a state hospital association expanding into a business associate role for its member hospitals.