- J.D., Harvard Law School, cum laude
- A.B., Harvard University, cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Association of Women Lawyers of Greater Kansas City
- Missouri Bar Intervention Committee, member, 2018
Courtney uses her trial experience to advise clients on how to stay out of litigation when entering into contracts or dealing with employees. She works extensively with coverage issues relating to both liability and property coverages. She also focuses on appellate practice, handling civil appeals in a variety of areas.
Courtney has handled appeals at every district of the Missouri Court of Appeals, the Missouri Supreme Court, the Kansas Court of Appeals, the Kansas Supreme Court and the United States District Court of Appeals for the 8th, 9th and 10th Circuits.
- Represented a public hospital in litigation over whether a city could sell or dispose of that hospital, obtaining a preliminary injunction prohibiting the sale until the matter was resolved.
- Represented hospitals in matters involving peer review of medical staff and privilege revocation.
- Defended a business against the FTC under the Telemarketing Sales Rule.
- Represented a client through arbitration over the valuation of the business and the buyout of a former officer.
- Drafted coverage documents and analyzing claims for coverage for a pool of governmental entities.
- Litigated coverage issues under insurance policies for multiple carriers.
- Advised an employer how to avoid litigation in specific employee-related situations.
- Represented an employer in enforcing a non-compete agreement against a former employee.
- Assisted an employer in terminating a non-performing CEO.
The Ross T. Roberts Trial Academy Coburn Professional Excellence Award, 2013
Robert C. Welch Volunteer Attorney Project Award, 1992
The Honorable H. Michael Coburn Community Service Award, 2003
Missouri chapter in the Council of Appellate Lawyers’ Appellate Practice Compendium (author)