- J.D., University of Nebraska College of Law, with Distinction
- B.S.B.A., University of Nebraska-Lincoln, with High Distinction
- American Bar Association
- Nebraska Bar Association
- Omaha Bar Associations
- American Health Lawyers Association
- ABA blue sky liaison for State of Nebraska
Steven has substantial experience in structuring and negotiating merger and acquisition transactions involving hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, imaging centers and other types of health care providers.
Steven also represents issuers, underwriters and placement agents in connection with public and private equity and debt securities offerings with a particular focus on transactions involving health care, multifamily real estate and agribusiness. He has significant experience in the formation of public and private investment funds and REITs. He regularly represents public companies in connection with federal securities law compliance matters and advises clients with respect to other areas of federal and state securities laws including the Investment Company Act of 1940, the Investment Advisors Act of 1940 and blue sky regulations. Steven also regularly advises clients regarding general corporate, partnership and limited liability company law, including advising directors and officers regarding their fiduciary duties.
- Counsel to a non-profit health system in connection with creating a joint venture with a private university medical school involving the buyout of a majority interest in the school’s principle teaching hospital from a for-profit hospital company.
- Structuring of a start-up company formed to create a network of primary care clinics and an associated private equity transaction.
- Represented a large non-profit health system in connection with sale of three hospitals.
- Counsel to sponsor of a series of private investment funds formed to make agribusiness investments in both the United States and Brazil.
- Represented majority owner of an ASC management company in connection with the sale of the company to a strategic buyer.
- Counsel to acquirer of several hospitalist practice groups.
- Represent a startup company formed to develop and commercialize new technology for making safer football and other sports helmets.
- Counsel to nonprofit company in connection with formation of joint venture with large for-profit hospital to acquire and operate small rural hospitals.
- Represented public ethanol company in connection with restructuring to allow company to deregister its shares with the SEC.
- Acted as issuer’s counsel for initial public offering of biotechnology company.
- Counsel for $100 million OPIC-insured private investment fund formed to make venture capital investments in agribusiness industry in the former Soviet Union.
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Agriculture Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2023