- J.D., George Washington University Law School
- Yale University
- U.S. Supreme Court
- District of Columbia
- American Bar Association, Public Contract Law Section (infrastructure and P3 matters), (35-year officer)
- Maryland Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Ave Maria School of Law (adjunct professor)
Steve has a long, proven track record of successfully counseling both public- and private-sector clients on the procurement process from inception to close including contract formation, administration, claims, appeals, audit resolution and overall project management. Previously, Steve was the Director of the Government Contracts practice at an advisory, audit and tax firm, general counsel of two defense contractors and vice president of Contracts for a third infrastructure-based company – all three with annual revenues of over $1 billion.
As a co-founder of the National Council for Public Private Partnerships, Steve has assisted clients in transactions involving water, wastewater, solid waste, office buildings, prisons, schools, transportation systems, and medical facilities.
He earned his stripes at the U.S. General Accounting Office, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as Assistant General Counsel for Grants at the EPA overseeing the national construction grants program for wastewater treatment plants as well as the Superfund program. He also ran the George Washington University Law School Government Contracts and Environmental Policy Programs and has taught at George Washington, American University, and Ave Maria Law School.
Steve currently focuses on infrastructure projects at all levels of government, regularly negotiating federal third-party finance transactions for his clients. At the federal level, he has handled utility privatization and enhanced use leasing transactions.
• "The Crisis in the Federal Government’s Infrastructure: Additional Approaches to the Current Federal Budgetary Scoring Regime," (whitepaper), American Bar Association, January 29, 2018 (co-author)
• "Budgetary Scoring Rules Are To Blame For FBI HQ Setback," Law360 (online newsletter), August 9, 2017 (co-author)
• "Escobar's FCA Compliance Lessons For Health Care Companies," Law360 (online newsletter), January 20, 2017 (co-author)
• "The Trump Infrastructure Plan And Its Legal Implications," Law360 (online magazine), December 2, 2016 (author)
- Who’s Who Lifetime Achievement Award, 2018