- J.D., University of Mississippi School of Law
- B.A., University of Mississippi, summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association (Board of Directors, 2015-2017)
- Mississippi Bar Association
Joseph has more than 20 years of civil litigation experience. He has represented a wide array of businesses and individuals, including manufacturers, large and small commercial businesses, banks, hospitals and various professionals on a wide range of issues. Joseph takes a hands-on approach from the moment a client first contacts him, listening to what the client wants and guiding the client through the legal process. Because he was a plaintiff's attorney for the first nine years of his practice, he can "think like a plaintiff's attorney." Anticipating the opposing side's goals, tactics and maneuvers equips Joseph to advise and defend his clients in the best manner possible.
Joseph is an experienced and accomplished trial lawyer and has successfully tried more than 20 cases in state and federal courts in Missouri and Mississippi. His cases have involved product liability, business disputes, contractual disputes, professional negligence, medical negligence and premises liability, among other issues. He has obtained defense jury verdicts for clients in multimillion-dollar cases and has successfully obtained a multimillion-dollar jury verdict on behalf of a client in a business dispute. Joseph also has substantial experience serving in the role of local counsel, working in partnership with national counsel firms to provide the best possible service and outcomes for their clients.
- "Problems Facing In-House Counsel: Inside and Outside the Workplace," Office Seminar for In-House Counsel, April 2016
- "Electronic Health Record Discovery Issues," Missouri Hospital Association Regional Corporate Counsel, May 2015
- Ronald McDonald Care Mobile "Tooth Truck," Board of Directors, 2010-2016
- Foundation for Springfield Public Schools, Board of Directors, 2008-2014; President, 2010-11; President-Elect, 2009-2010
- Missouri Department of Elementary & Secondary Education - School Improvement Program 5 Advisory Committee, 2011
- Successfully represented a hospital and physicians' group in a medical negligence lawsuit in which the plaintiffs requested over $1 million in damages in closing argument. After six days of trial, the physicians' group was dismissed by the plaintiffs, and the jury returned a 9-3 defense verdict for the hospital.
- Defended a medical negligence claim against a large healthcare system with claimed damages in excess of $8 million. Retained, prepared and presented nationally renowned expert witnesses on behalf of the defense and conducted rigorous cross-examination of the opposing counsel's witnesses after in-depth discovery. Obtained 11-1 verdict in favor of the client. Trial court granted a new trial for alleged juror misconduct; prevailed on appeal with the appellate court reversing the new trial and reinstating judgment for the client.
- Represented a well-respected family that owned an entertainment business in Branson, Missouri. Clients were defrauded by their business partners who had made misrepresentations during negotiations in entering into the business and who then misappropriated large sums of income from the business for personal use. Secured a unanimous jury verdict in federal court for the clients who were given full company ownership and $2 million in damages—over $350,000 of which was for punitive damages. Also obtained a unanimous jury verdict for the clients as to the opponent's counterclaim that sought in excess of $2 million in compensatory damages and punitive damages.
- Defended a product liability claim concerning an electrical transformer designed and manufactured by the client. Joseph’s cross-examinations of the opponents’ expert witnesses successfully revealed that the client’s transformer was neither negligently designed nor negligently manufactured and that the transformer’s failure was due to installation error by another entity. After the examinations, and while still in the plaintiff's part of the case, the plaintiff and the other co-defendant reached a settlement that allowed the client to be dismissed without any settlement.
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2017-2021, Litigation-Health Care; Medical Malpractice Law-Defendants; Product Liability Litigation-Defendants
- Springfield Business Journal, Trusted Advisers, 2017
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers®, 2011-2014; "Rising Stars," 2009, 2010
- Springfield Chamber of Commerce's Leadership Springfield Class XXV
- Springfield Business Journal, 40 Under 40, 2009