- J.D., University of Nebraska College of Law
- B.M., Loyola University, New Orleans, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- Nebraska Chapter of the Federal Bar Association (Vice President)
- Bar Association for the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals (Board of Directors)
- American Bar Association
- Eighth Circuit Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Nebraska Bar Association
- Iowa Bar Association
- Omaha Bar Association
Kate defends employers against discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge and breach of contract claims under state and federal law, including Title VII, the ADEA, the FMLA, the ADA and other statutes. In addition to her employment litigation experience, she represents clients in connection with administrative proceedings, including those involving the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and state fair employment agencies. Outside the litigation context, Kate counsels clients on day-to-day personnel issues.
Kate also has experience in high-stakes litigation involving temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions in connection with restrictive covenants (non-compete, non-solicit and confidentiality agreements) and claims of tortious interference with business relations, trade secret misappropriation and conversion. She prosecutes and defends cases involving breach of restrictive covenants, as well as related tort claims of breach of fiduciary duties and duty of loyalty.
Kate represents employers in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship. Her experience includes defending Fortune 500 companies, as well as small and midsize employers in litigation and agency matters.
Before joining Kutak Rock LLP, Kate served as a law clerk to the Honorable William J. Riley, Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, and the Honorable Linda R. Reade, Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa.
- “Records Retention, Destruction, and Reporting,” Sterling Education Services, March 23, 2017
- "Electronically Stored Information (ESI) – When Worlds Collide: The Intersection of Employment Law and Other Areas of Federal Practice,” Nebraska State Bar Association Federal Law Section and Nebraska Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, February 17, 2017 (panelist)
- “Records and Data Compliance: Sorting Through The Pieces,” Kutak Rock Employment Law Seminar, November 10, 2016
- “What’s Trending in Your Newsfeed: Social Media Law Update,” Kutak Rock Employment Law Seminar, November 19, 2015
Cases of Interest
- Jahnke v. Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Kan., Inc., 353 P.3d 455 (Kan. Ct. App. 2015) (obtained reversal of judgment entered by district court).
- Kehr v. Principal Life Ins. Co., 427 F. App’x 544 (8th Cir. 2011) (affirmance of district court’s grant of summary judgment to employer in disability-discrimination action).
- Woodmen of World Life Ins. Society v. J.R.Y., 320 F. App’x 216 (5th Cir. 2009) (obtained reversal of district court’s order denying motion to compel arbitration).
- Estate of Blume v. Marian Health Center, 516 F.3d 705 (8th Cir. 2008) (obtained reversal of jury verdict where hospital was immune from physician’s claim under immunity provision of bylaws).
- Shultz v. Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Kan., Inc., No. 09-1220-WEB, 2011 WL 1118842 (D. Kan. March 28, 2011) (obtained summary judgment in action alleging wrongful denial of benefits under ERISA plan).
- Chubiz v. Newmont Gold Co., No. 2:10-cv-00987, 2011 WL 705397 (D. Nev. Feb. 18, 2011) (obtained dismissal of action against ERISA plan administrator alleging breach of fiduciary duty involving distribution of plan proceeds).
- Litigated employment cases through successful summary judgment motions and motions to dismiss.
- Obtained “no reasonable cause” findings by the EEOC and state administrative agencies.
- Achieved favorable settlements through alternative dispute resolution, including court-sponsored settlement conferences and private mediation.
- Obtained summary judgment victories in ERISA cases.
- Great Plains Super Lawyers®, 2016
- Great Plains Super Lawyers®, 2017
- Great Plains Super Lawyers®, Rising Star, 2015
- Nebraska State Bar Association Leadership Academy, Class of 2013-2014