- J.D., University of Denver College of Law, Editor-in Chief, Transportation Law Journal
- LL.M. (Taxation), University of Denver
- M.B.A., University of Denver
- B.S., University of Colorado
- U.S. Tax Court
- National Association of Bond Lawyers (NABL) (former chair; frequent lead or contributor for Tax Law Committee guidance requests and comments to the U.S. Department of Treasury and Congress)
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
Matthias advises clients on developing effective tax solutions and delivering efficient structuring ideas relating to municipal and corporate debt. He has represented clients ranging from banks, securities dealers and governmental and corporate securities issuers to energy and solid waste recycling companies, manufacturers, hospitals and other healthcare organizations and various types of nonprofits. A particular area of focus includes economic development financings relating to special districts, community improvement districts and community development districts throughout the country. His tax credit bond experience includes stripping and secondary market sales of tax credits. Matthias also counsels clients in Internal Revenue Service audits and private letter ruling and voluntary closing agreement program (VCAP) requests.
Fluent in German, Matthias has also served German companies and individuals in business and litigation matters.
- “Private Activity Bond Test” and “Tax Due Diligence and Documentation,” Bond Attorneys’ Workshop Conferences, National Association of Bond Lawyers (panelist)
- “The Refunding Bond Issue” and “Reissuance,” Tax and Securities Law Institute Conferences, National Association of Bond Lawyers (panel chair)
- “General Tax Section,” “Refundings and Reissuances,” “Avoiding the Private Activity Tests” and “Private Activity Bonds,” Fundamentals of Municipal Bond Law Conferences, National Association of Bond Lawyers (panelist and panel chair)
- “Understanding Proposed IRS Rules on Issue Price and the Industry Impact,” CDFA, Bank of New York Mellon Development Finance Webcast Series, Council of Development Finance Agencies (speaker)
- “Financing Infrastructure: Bank Loans vs. Bonds,” Colorado Municipal League Annual Seminar on Municipal Law (speaker)“Federal Tax and Securities Laws Post Issuance Compliance,” Colorado Municipal League Annual Conference (speaker)
- “Proposed Tax-Exempt Bond Changes Could Thwart Hospital Funding,” BNA’s Healthcare Daily Report, Bloomberg Law, November 8, 2017 (Quoted)
- “IRS proposes updated public notice, approval rules for PABs,” The Bond Buyer, September 28, 2017 (Quoted)
- “IRS tells public utility it can issue tax-exempt refunding bonds,” The Bond Buyer, August 15, 2017 (Quoted)
- Served as tax counsel for the Regional Transportation Authority’s issuance of $139 million of General Obligation Bonds, Series 2018B (Chicago, Illinois).
- Provided tax advice in firm’s role as bond counsel for a large bank direct placement involving the construction of a community ice skating facility with professional hockey league use (California).
- Tax counsel to financial institution lender for structuring secondary market stripping and sale of Qualified Zone Academy Bond tax credits using custodial and trust arrangements (Nationally).
- Tax counsel for New Clean Renewable Energy Bond and Qualified Energy Conservation Bond issuances for an international airport and multiple municipalities and state agencies (Nationally).
- Tax counsel for various exempt facility financings, including solid waste disposal facilities, two-county gas facilities, pollution control facilities (under transition rules), manufacturing facilities and first-time farmers.
- Tax counsel for bond issuances benefitting some of the largest health care facilities in the State of Colorado.
- Disclosure counsel to international airport (Colorado).