- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law
- B.S., Iowa State University
American Bankruptcy Institute
Nebraska Bar Association (Bankruptcy Section), past president
Iowa Bar Association (Bankruptcy Section)
Jeffrey works with clients in the Midwest and throughout the country. He has appeared in business bankruptcy cases in more than 40 jurisdictions on behalf of the firm’s clients. Jeffrey has worked with members of the firm’s bankruptcy group to build a national bankruptcy practice capable of serving the firm’s clients through its strategically located 18 offices. As a result, he has built deep relationships with banks and institutional lenders, REIT’s, special servicers and lessors that have needs for bankruptcy representation throughout the United States. Jeffrey has unique experience and expertise in representing lenders to franchise businesses, REIT landlords, and agricultural lenders.
Jeffrey is known for using his experience, insight and relationships to efficiently resolve matters advantageously for his clients and, where negotiated resolutions are not possible, to design and implement efficient and winning litigation strategies. His clients value his calm focus on how best to maximize recoveries with the least expense and delay and his ability to achieve exceptional results.
- “Setting Aside Fraudulent Conveyances” – Advanced Bankruptcy Practices Seminar sponsored by the Nebraska State Bar Association.
- “Chapter 12 Issues” – Annual Midwestern Bankruptcy Institute sponsored by the American Bankruptcy Institute.
- “Reorganization and Larger Case Debtor Representation” – Annual Bankruptcy Conference sponsored by the Federal Bar Association of Iowa.
- “Fraudulent Transfers and Preferences” – Consumer Bankruptcy Law Program sponsored by the Nebraska State Bar Association.
- “Bankruptcy Issues Relating to Nonresidential Real Estate Leases” for multiple in-house counsel presentations to Fortune 10 company and two NYSE-listed REITs.
- “Municipal Bankruptcy Issues” for in-house counsel to Fortune 10 Company.
- “Recent Developments” – Annual Bankruptcy Conference sponsored by the Federal Bar Association of Iowa.
- “TRAC Lease Issues in Bankruptcy” – American Automotive Leasing Association Annual Meeting.
- “Asset Sales Under Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code” for Program Materials, 41st Annual Barbara A. Everly Advanced Procedures Bankruptcy Seminar
- ABI Health Care Insolvency Manual, first edition, contributing author
- “Chapter 11: The Creditor’s View of Farm Bankruptcy, 38 Alabama Law Review 509
- Designing and implementing a pre-bankruptcy forbearance agreement to lever an eventual pre-arranged bankruptcy sale of the client’s collateral resulting in a 100% recovery on the client’s $70 Million loan.
- Effectuating a $100+ million deed in lieu of foreclosure conveyance of a syndicated lending group’s alternative energy facility collateral achieved through negotiation and litigation pressure.
- Implementing a successful Section 363 sale of a lender’s multi-store collateral after quashing an Unsecured Creditors’ Committee’s objections and avoidance claims.
- Designing and implementing a stalking-horse bid foreclosure program to effectuate the liquidation of a lender’s $800+ million portfolio of defaulted commercial real estate collateral located in 20 states.
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Omaha Lawyer of the Year, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Omaha Lawyer of the Year, Bankruptcy Litigation, 2017 and 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2015-2020