- J.D., University of Colorado at Boulder School of Law
- B.A., Yankton College, magna cum laude
- American, Colorado and Denver Bar Associations
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
Tom has more than 30 years of experience in public finance and serves a wide variety of clients as lead bond counsel, disclosure counsel and underwriter’s counsel in municipal financings for major infrastructure and other governmental public/private projects. His experience includes, but is not limited to, general obligation bonds, revenue bonds, special assessment bonds, certificates of participation and related lease-purchase financings and conduit obligations. From his experience over the years in a significant number of public financings involving a variety of entities from the State of Colorado to small local governments, Tom has extensive practical knowledge in the area of public finance and the options available for the financing of public improvements.
Tom has been named to The Best Lawyers in America© every year from 2013 to 2018.
- Since January 2000, in addition to serving as lead counsel to the State of Colorado in financings representing an aggregate amount in excess of five billion dollars, Tom has served as lead bond or disclosure counsel in financings for a wide variety of local governments including over 80 school districts, 75 Title 32 special districts, 50 charter schools, 40 municipalities, and a significant number of counties, library districts, and various authorities and other governmental entities.
- Extensive election experience and the drafter of more than 350 ballot issues and ballot questions since January 2000.
- Acknowledged as an expert in TABOR matters by the District Court, Eagle County, Colorado, when providing written opinions and oral testimony for a Colorado public school in Michael Cacioppo and Nancy Cacioppo v. Eagle County School District RE-50J et al., Case Number 02 CV 125. The opinion rendered by the District Court in such litigation ruled in favor of the school district on all TABOR issues addressed by Tom, and the Colorado Supreme Court affirmed the lower courts on all TABOR issues raised on appeal in 92 P.3d 453 (Colo. 2004).
- Faculty member for the Colorado Bar Association preparing and presenting materials on “Financing Public Infrastructure Projects – Municipal Bond Infrastructure Financing Considerations and Industry Developments” for a continuing legal education program in 2011 regarding “Public Projects – Advanced Real Estate Issues."
- Guest speaker and lecturer at industry events including conferences for the Rocky Mountain Land Use Institute, the Colorado League of Charter Schools, the Colorado Municipal League, the Colorado Government Finance Officers’ Association and the Colorado Association of School Executives.