- J.D., University of Denver College of Law
- M.A., University of Colorado Graduate School of Public Affairs, Public Administration
- B.A., University of Arizona, with Distinction
- New York
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
Fred has participated in over 965 financings aggregating $31.9 billion and focuses his practice on higher education facility financings, conduit private activity bonds, nonprofit facility financings and multifamily housing revenue bonds. He routinely serves as bond, disclosure and underwriter’s counsel on tax-exempt bond financings for public and nonprofit colleges and universities, charter and independent schools, charitable organizations and housing authorities.
Fred is also a member of the firm’s Government Relations group and chairs the firm’s federal multicandidate political action committee. He has represented an array of issuers and financial institutions before various state legislatures and federal agencies.
Fred serves as a board member for Kitchen Sisters Productions, Public Media Company, the University of Colorado School of Public Affairs Dean’s Advisory Board and the University of Colorado-Denver’s Chancellor’s Development Committee.
- "Investment Policies," Wyoming Association of Municipalities Fall Workshop, Lander, Wyoming, November 1, 2018
- “Private Activity Bonds for Local Government Officials,” Colorado Department of Local Affairs Private Activity Bonds for Local Government Officials Webinar, Denver, Colorado, July 17, 2018
- “Post Issuance Compliance and Alternatives to Advance Refundings,” SELC 2018 Spring Conference, Keystone, Colorado, May 17, 2018.
- “Tax-Exempt Financing for Wyoming Municipalities,” Wyoming Association of Municipalities Fall Workshop, Saratoga, Wyoming, November 2, 2017.
- “Education Financings – Undeniable Charter School Expansion and Other Non-Tax Educational Issues,” 42nd Annual National Association of Bond Lawyers Bond Attorneys’ Workshop, Chicago, Illinois, October 4-6 2017 (Panelist)
- “Private Activity Bonds for Local Government Officials,” Colorado Department of Local Affairs Private Activity Bonds for Local Government Officials Webinar, Denver, Colorado, July 27, 2016.
- “Issuing Private Activity Bonds,” Colorado Department of Local Affairs Private Activity Bond Workshop for Local Officials, Grand Junction, Colorado, June 23, 2015 and Denver, Colorado, August 13, 2015.
- “Tax Exempt Bond Issuances – Qualified 501(c)(3) Bonds,” 24th Annual Institute on Advising Nonprofit Organizations in Colorado, Colorado Bar Association, May 15, 2015.
- Bond or disclosure counsel to all of Colorado’s governing boards of higher education.
- Bond counsel to several Colorado city or county housing authorities.
- Bond counsel on multistate tax-exempt qualified 501(c)(3) bond financing programs, such as the National Jewish Federation Bond Program and a land acquisition program on behalf of The Nature Conservancy.
- Bond and disclosure counsel to the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research.
- Financing counsel to Public Radio Media.
- Bond and disclosure counsel to many independent and charter schools.
- Prior bond counsel, special tax counsel and disclosure counsel to the treasurers of the States of Colorado, Louisiana, Nevada and Rhode Island.
- Assisted with the drafting and adoption of legislation relating to debt financings in the States of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico, Rhode Island, Texas, West Virginia and Wyoming.
- Colorado Capital Conference, attendee, 2013
- Law Week Colorado, named one of 11 "Lawyers of the Year" in Colorado, 2010