- J.D., Creighton University School of Law, magna cum laude
- B.A., Creighton University, summa cum laude
Bryan represents banks, nonbank financial services providers, and commercial customers acquiring financial services products. His experience includes consumer compliance (particularly credit card issuer representation), retail banking, operations, treasury services and core bank regulatory topics.
Bryan strives for simplicity and practicality in the protection of his clients.
- “Challenging the Enforceability of Regulatory Enforcement Actions: LabMD vs the FTC,” Nebraska Banker, July/August, 2018 (author)
- “The End—Statutes of Limitations & the CFPB,” Nebraska Banker, March/April, 2018 (author)
- “Update on Risk Management of Third Party Relationships,” Nebraska Banker, July/August, 2017 (author)
- "Lessons Learned From the RushCard Enforcement Action," Nebraska Banker, March/April 2017 (author)
- "Contracting with a Fintech Company," Cybersecurity Law & Strategy, August 2016 (co-author)
- “Improving the U.S. Payment System,” Nebraska Banker, July/August, 2016 (author)
- “Banking in the Big Data Era: Brave New World?” Nebraska Banker, March/April, 2016 (co-author)
- “Your Bank Is Not a Gazelle,” Nebraska Banker, July/August 2015 (author)
- "Vendor Limitations of Liability for Security Breaches: The Alimentary Canal Problem," Nebraska Banker, March/April 2015 (author)
- "Bitcoins & Banking: Bona Fide or Balderdash?," Nebraska Banker, May/June 2014 (author)
- Consumer compliance experience includes regulation of usury and fees, CARD Act, Truth-in-Lending, Equal Credit Opportunity, Fair Credit Reporting, Fair Debt Collection Practices, Truth-in-Savings, Expedited Funds Availability, Electronic Funds Transfers, Privacy, and state laws, among other things.
- Retail banking experience includes traditional brick and mortar deposit and credit products, ATM issues, prepaid products, online banking, and local, multi-state and national programs.
- Cash management and treasury products experience includes UCC 3, 4 and 4A issues, Check 21, Federal Reserve system and clearing house rules, ACH and wire services products, negotiable instruments, lock box/remittance processing, and remote deposit and image cash letter products, among other things.
- Core bank regulatory experience includes portfolio acquisitions, corporate acquisitions, state and federal regulation and supervision, permissible activities, preemption and exporting, transactions with affiliates, BSA/AML issues and regulatory enforcement.
- Fintech and online products and services, including payments products, sponsorship and service provider relationships, and regulatory considerations relevant in this area. Bryan has also written and presented on a variety of topics in this area, including on, among other things, virtual currencies.
Bank Regulatory Experience
- Representation of regional and nationwide financial institutions and their affiliates, including a top-15 credit card issuer and top 50 banks, in a wide variety of regulatory and transactional matters.
- Representation of clients before state and federal regulators to obtain favorable interpretations on novel questions and changes in existing regulatory provisions.
- Counsel to clients in connection with various arrangements between banking and non-banking organizations to deliver financial products, including affinity, co-branding, sponsorship and rent-a-charter arrangements.
- Negotiation of a wide variety of financial institution-related technology matters, including core processor services, large scale systems acquisitions for multiple data centers, licensing, hardware and software development, service bureau processing, distribution arrangements, off-shoring and other transactions.
- Best Lawyers® 2018-2021, Banking and Finance Law
- Rating of “AV” by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Listed in Chambers USA