- J.D., University of Nebraska College of Law, with Distinction; Order of the Coif; Executive Editor, Nebraska Law Review; Best Student Article Award
- LL.M., New York University, Taxation
- B.S., The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Nebraska State Bar Foundation
Howard has participated in the formation of over 45 tax-exempt, bond-financed senior living facilities and has represented specialty, general and academic hospitals as general counsel, as well as municipalities and tax-exempt and taxable entities in disputes with the Internal Revenue Service. In 2010 he assisted two competing health systems in forming one of the first Accountable Care Organizations in the country. He has published articles on both ACOs and physician-owned hospital issues.
Howard's work has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America©, Chambers USA and Great Plains Super Lawyers®. He has been listed in Best Lawyers®, Non-Profit/Charities Law, Tax Law, every year since 1995 and also is a Fellow of both the American Bar Foundation and the Nebraska State Bar Foundation.
He is a past member and chair of the City of Omaha Planning Board and the Omaha Airport Authority, and also a past president of the Legal Aid Society and the Merrymakers Association. Additionally, he has served on the boards of the Sienna Francis House, the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce and Landmarks, Inc.
- City of Omaha Planning Board and the Omaha Airport Authority (past member and Chair)
- Legal Aid Society and the Merrymakers Association (past President)
- Sienna Francis House (board member)
- Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce (board member)
- Landmarks, Inc. (board member)
- Assisting with the sale of dialysis clinics from a hospital to a for-profit buyer.
- Assisting with the formation and founding of a partially physician-owned orthopedic hospital.
- Serving as general counsel to an academic medical center and the largest hospital in the state.
- Assisting with the formation and founding of a new acute care general hospital which is partially physician owned.
- Assisting two competing health systems in forming one of the first ACOs in the U.S.
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Non-Profit/Charities Law, Tax Law, 1995-2018
- Chambers USA®, Leading Healthcare Attorney, Nebraska, 2018-2019
- Great Plains Super Lawyers®