- J.D., Loyola Law School
- B.S., University of Colorado
- Orange County Bar Association (Financial Services section)
Steven is a member of the Financial Services Litigation Practice Group. His principal practice involves prosecuting and defending cases brought by and against residential mortgage lenders, including indemnification/repurchase, wrongful foreclosure, title defects, loan origination fraud and various other real property-related litigation. In connection with indemnification/ repurchase litigation, Steven has frequently coordinated his investigations with various law enforcement agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation. He has specialized knowledge of the requirements, rights, defenses and remedies attendant to the Truth-in-Lending Act, Real Estate Settlement Practices Act, Financial Elder Abuse Act, Unfair Business Practices Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act and state and federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Acts. Steven has extensive experience analyzing loan origination, underwriting, servicing, escrow and foreclosure records from the standpoints of fraud detection and litigation. He has longstanding professional relationships with many financial institutions and their vendors. He regularly provides opinions and advice regarding loan servicing and origination policies and procedures.
- Guest lecturer on real property foreclosure at University of Southern California Law School in November 2014 and October 2015.
- Speaker on emerging cases in mortgage litigation at the Orange County Bar Association’s Banking and Lending section meeting in February 2014.
- Speaker on litigation and alternatives at the Mortgage Bankers Association's Repurchase Workshop in Dallas, Texas in March 2010.
- Speaker on the identification of fraud post-closing issues at the national Mortgage Bankers Association’s Fraud Issues Conference in Chicago, Illinois in March 2008.
- Speaker on loan repurchase and indemnification at the California Mortgage Bankers 12th Annual Western States Loan Servicing Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada in August 2007.
- Corporate INTL, Global Award, Financial Services Litigation Lawyer of the Year in California, 2019