- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, cum laude; Editor and symposium chairman, Law & Policy in International Business; Editor, Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy
- M.B.A., Georgetown University, with High Distinction.
Harvard Business School “Strategy: Building and Sustaining Competitive Advantage” program
- B.A., University of Nebraska, with High Distinction, Economics and History; National Merit Scholar
Jim is a nationally recognized lawyer with extensive experience in corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and other transactional matters. He has led more than 350 financing and acquisition transactions in both legal and business capacities. His experience includes venture capital transactions, private fund formations and more than a dozen initial public offerings (IPOs).
Jim is a frequent speaker and author on securities and M&A topics. He is a contributor to the American Bar Association's annual survey of M&A deal points and a past speaker at Practising Law Institute's Annual Institute on Securities Regulation in New York. He has been recognized by IPO Vitalsigns and served as an Adjunct Professor in Securities Regulation at the Boalt Hall School of Law at the University of California at Berkeley.
Jim chaired a two-day conference on venture capital in Silicon Valley titled “Bootcamp for Lawyers” and chaired a panel on venture capital for Practising Law Institute's Annual Institute on Securities Regulation in New York. He also served as a judge for Ernst & Young’s Northern California Entrepreneur of the Year competition from 2001 to 2003.
Prior to joining Kutak Rock, Jim served as Vice President of Strategic Business Development for West Corporation, a leading provider of outsourced communications services and portfolio company of Thomas H. Lee Partners. He also practiced with the largest law firm in Silicon Valley.
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Banking and Finance Law, 2024
- Chambers USA®, Leading Corporate/Commercial Attorney, Nebraska, 2017-2022
- Business Today, Nebraska’s Top 10 Influential Corporate Lawyers, 2023