- B.S.E.S., University of Georgia, with Honors
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Florida Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Air & Waste Management Association
- Big Bend Habitat for Humanity, Former President
- Keep Tallahassee-Leon County Beautiful, Former Chairman
- The Sharing Tree, Former Chairman
Joe has a wide-ranging practice encompassing administrative, state, and federal litigation and counseling clients on a variety matters including election law; compliance with state and federal environmental regulations; licensing, development, and operation of public infrastructure and industrial facilities; and coastal construction and property rights.
Joe's clients include individuals, developers, industrial business interests, and state and local government entities.
- Represented Florida-based electric utility interests in successful litigation challenging imposition of new regulatory program under the Clean Air Act.
- Represented electric utility interests in a number of challenges to federal rulemakings in the 11th and D.C. Circuit Courts of Appeal and in the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Advised electric utilities on licensing and development of new generating facilities.
- Advised electric facilities on due diligence review for potential purchase of existing generating facilities.
- Advised Candidates for elective office on campaign-related matters.
- Represented the Florida Secretary of State in elections-related litigation in federal district court.
- Represented property owners in litigation related to beach and coastal management issues, including property rights and permitting of beach restoration and inlet management projects.
- Represented special tax district in enforcement and collection of special assessments obtaining summary judgment foreclosing lien.
- Advises special tax district with complex financing structure with multiple revenue streams including community redevelopment agency tax increment financing.
- Advises special tax districts in general counsel capacity on a variety of issues including public records, sunshine law, public bidding and construction, assessment levy and collection, financing, etc.
- Represented clients before state and federal environmental agencies on a variety of permitting- and rulemaking-related matters.
- Represented associations in contract and property disputes.
- Represented business interests in litigation concerning environmental permitting.
Publications & Presentations
- Florida’s Renewable Energy Projects, Florida Chamber Foundation 31st Annual Environmental Permitting Summer School (July 2017) (co-presenter).
- Florida’s Renewable Energy Projects, Florida Chamber Foundation 30th Annual Environmental Permitting Summer School (July 2016) (co-presenter).
- Conference Co-Chair, Florida Section Air & Waste Management Association, 51st & 53rd Annual Conference, Tallahassee, Florida (October 2015; October 2017).
- EPA’s Startup, Shutdown, and Malfunction SIP Call, Air & Water Permitting Workshop, Tampa, Florida (September 2015).
- Climate Change and the Clean Air Act: Reluctant Dance Partners?, Environmental and Land Use Law Reporter of the Florida Bar, Vol. XXXVI, No. 1 (September 2014).
- Air Law Hot Topics: Fine Particulate Emission Limits, NSR Enforcement and More, Florida Bar Environmental and Land Use Section Webcast (June 2014) (Co-presenter).
- Permitting Sources of Air Toxics, Florida Treatise on Environmental and Land Use Law (June 2014) (Updating Author).
- Clean Air Act Compliance and Enforcement, Florida Treatise on Environmental and Land Use Law (June 2014) (Updating Author).
- Florida Treatise on Environmental and Land Use Law, Chapter 23: Air Quality (2014) (Updating Author).
- Air Quality Regulation Update, Air & Waste Management Association, Coastal Plains Chapter (2014).
Representative Published Decisions
- Tzodikov v. Mosaic Fertilizer, L.L.C., No 20-2949 (Fla. DOAH Aug. 5, 2020)
- City of Destin v. Wilson, No. 20-2123F (Fla. DOAH Aug. 6, 2020)
- Baroody v. City of Quincy, No. 4:20-cv-217-AW-MAF (N.D. Fla. June 7, 2020)
- Jacobson v. Fla. Sec'y of State, 2020 U.S. App. LEXIS 28078 (11th Cir. Sept. 3, 2020)
- Jacobson v. Lee, 411 F. Supp. 3d 1249, 1254 (N.D. Fla. 2019)
- State of Wisconsin v EPA, No. 16-1406 (D.C. Cir. Sept. 13, 2019)
- EME Homer City Generation, L.P. v EPA, 795 F.3d 118 (D.C. Cir. 2015)
- EPA v EME Homer City Generation, L.P., 134 S. Ct. 1584 (2014)
- Listed in the annual publication of The Florida Super Lawyers®, 2020 & 2021 editions
- Listed as a “Rising Star” in the annual publication of Florida Super Lawyers®, 2013-2018 editions