- J.D., William Mitchell College of Law
- B.A., Lehigh University
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Civil Trial Law Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association
Jon is a seasoned trial lawyer and MSBA Certified Civil Trial Law Specialist. He represents companies in complex transaction-related disputes arising from all varieties of business agreements, with a particular emphasis on shareholder, employment and complex business disputes, and securities litigation. Many of these cases involve difficult and fiercely litigated allegations against employees, officers, directors and shareholders of businesses.
In addition to being a sought after litigator, Jon also routinely guides clients through complex data and security issues, including the existing patchwork of U.S. federal and state laws, state breach notification laws, state information security laws, as well as existing self-regulatory frameworks. He assists clients in the formulation and documentation of a cross-border data transfer strategy in preparation for certification under the EU-US Privacy Shield, and preparation and compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Jon delivers seamless advice for clients that operate across many jurisdictional lines, developing comprehensive privacy and cybersecurity programs that address competing regulatory regimes. He drafts online privacy policies for global rollout and implements data transfer mechanisms for the free flow of data worldwide. Additionally, Jon represents businesses and individuals who have fallen victim to data security breaches, as well as representing businesses targeted by litigation and government investigations stemming from highly publicized data security breaches.
- "Third Party Relationship Considerations - Developments in Cybersecurity & Vendor Management," Lindquist & Vennum Card Issuer Workshop, October 2017
- "You've Been Hacked! Now What?" November 2016
- "2016 Sioux Falls Card Issuer Workshop", Seminar, November 2016
- Lindquist Data Breach Response Guide, August 2016
- Advised numerous clients on the impact of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), including drafting and negotiating master service agreements, EU data processing agreements, and information security policies for global companies.
- Assisted clients in the formulation and documentation of a cross-border data transfer strategy in preparation for certification under the Privacy Shield, and preparation and compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Advising and representing franchisee in responding to card brand inquiries stemming from the data security breach that Supervalu announced in September 2014.
- Lead counsel in the investigation and prosecution of individuals involved in a security data breach scheme that targeted a prominent App designer.
- Represents the Receiver and Bankruptcy Trustees appointed in the wake of the $36 billion Petters Ponzi scheme Jon's work on this matter includes litigating more than 25 lawsuits seeking to recover millions for victims of the Ponzi scheme.
- Represented majority shareholders of a health care company in an action brought by a minority owner seeking to break up the company The case involved complicated issues relating to patient care, accounting and health care law The lawsuit was litigated for two years, resulting in a settlement on terms favorable to the client.
- Represented prominent restaurateur and his restaurants in a dispute regarding the misappropriation of trade secrets, tortious interference, and embezzlement by former restaurant managers who sought to establish a competing business The creative resolution of the case resulted in substantial benefits to the client.
- Defended a limited liability electronics company and its founders against claims brought by a minority owner seeking over $3 million in alleged damages The defense resulted in a favorable arbitration award for the company.
- Represented a high net worth client in a FINRA dispute against a securities broker/dealer to recover excessive fees and damages associated with the purchase of unsuitable securities Following a lengthy arbitration, the FINRA panel found in favor of the customer and sanctioned the broker-dealer.
- Represented a closely-held real estate business in a multi-million dollar dispute brought by a minority shareholder and family member The case was litigated in federal court for nearly two years, leading to a favorable settlement to the client.
- Represented a large law firm in a $40 million legal malpractice lawsuit Following a five week jury trial, the Plaintiff's claims were dismissed and the jury awarded the law firm $2 million on its counterclaim.
- Member of trial team representing two broker-dealers seeking to recover in excess of $75 million in a series of high-profile complex securities litigation cases stemming from a securities fraud scheme that involved more than $220 million in total losses These cases were litigated over several years and were settled shortly before trial.
- Represented a number of dissenting shareholders in a business valuation case in the Delaware Court of Chancery and the Delaware Supreme Court Following trial, the Court of Chancery awarded the shareholders a fifty-percent increase over the merger price received by non-dissenting shareholders The defendant appealed to the Delaware Supreme Court, which upheld the award.
- Minnesota Super Lawyers®, 2015-2017
- Minnesota Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars, 2006-2008, 2010-2014
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2013, 2016