- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, magna cum laude; Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly
- A.B., Harvard University, with Honors
- U.S. Supreme Court
American Bar Association
Arkansas Bar Association
Media Law Resource Center
Jess practices in the areas of business and class action litigation and constitutional, education, media and appellate law.
- Teague v. Cooper, 720 F.3d 973 (8th Cir. 2013), involving constitutional challenge to race limitation in public school interdistrict transfer statute where the statute was struck down at the trial level and the appeal was mooted by new legislation creating significantly broader transfer rights.
- Dorsett v. Buffington, 2013 Ark. 345, striking prejudgment interest from judgment.
- Pending constitutional challenge to public school district’s refusal to comply with Arkansas Public School Choice Act of 2013.
- Representation of open-enrollment public charter schools in Pulaski County in long-running Pulaski County School Desegregation Case.
- Bedell v. Williams, 2012 Ark. 75, 386 S.W.3d 493, reversing and dismissing seven-figure personal judgment against an individual on a novel legal theory in nursing home litigation.
- Pinnacle Point Properties, LLC v. Metropolitan National Bank, 2012 Ark. App. 268, affirming state’s largest single foreclosure judgment in favor of client bank.
- Rule 12(b)(6) dismissal of state-court putative class action in Miller County, Arkansas alleging deceptive trade practice claims against world’s largest retailer.
- Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. v. Phillips County Circuit Court, 2011 Ark. 183, 381 S.W.3d 67, granting extraordinary writ to protect trade secrets in discovery dispute.
- Ernst & Young LLP v. Reid, 2010 Ark. 255, reversing seven-figure jury verdict against client and dismissing the complaint.
- Arkansas Blue Cross v. Little Rock Cardiology Clinic, 551 F.3d 812 (2009), dealing with federal ancillary jurisdiction in a health care case.
- Arkansas Democrat-Gazette v. Pulaski County District Court, 375 Ark. 310, 289 S.W.3d 901 (2008), establishing the availability of a writ of certiorari from a circuit court to an inferior court under Amendment 80 to the Arkansas Constitution.
- Cox v. Daniels, 374 Ark. 437, 288 S.W.3d 591 (2008), rejecting a ballot-title challenge to the Arkansas College Scholarship Lottery Amendment under Amendment 7 to the Arkansas Constitution.
The Best Lawyers in America© Little Rock First Amendment Law "Lawyer of the Year" 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America© in Appellate Law, Communications Law, Media Law, First Amendment Law and Commercial Litigation
Chambers USA Leader in General Commercial Litigation
Mid-South Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation and Intellectual Property Litigation, 2006-2016