- J.D., William Mitchell College of Law, magna cum laude
- B.S., University of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- Federal Bar Association
Leland represents clients in high-stakes litigation across the United States, with an emphasis on representing entrepreneurs, family owned, and mid-sized corporations. His practice spans everything from large intellectual property matters to fiduciary duty and ERISA litigation, and business tort claims.
In addition, Leland represents both plaintiffs and defendants in defamation and commercial disparagement matters in Minnesota and across the nation. His trial team successfully defended against a $12 million defamation claim in a case involving the first time in Minnesota that a CEO faced liability for a press release issued by his corporation.
In addition to his litigation practice, Leland acts as an advisor to clients on general corporate matters and has significant experience drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial contracts.
- Successfully defended a large California based cannabis operator in dispute involving shareholder claims and defeated motion for appointment of receiver in a multi-day contested proceeding.
- Defended corporate officer in defamation action resulting in a complete jury verdict for defendant following trial.
- Represented cannabis grower and manufacturer in trade secret and breach of contract litigation.
- Represented financial technology company in trade secret litigation through trial.
- Represented co-founder of large online retailer in business divorce dispute, obtaining a favorable outcome and through submission of a TRO.
- Defended corporate officer from claims for breach of fiduciary duty and self-dealing.
- Obtained summary judgment ruling on behalf of national insurance carrier in multimillion-dollar coverage dispute.