- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law
- Creighton University, magna cum laude
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
John conducts a federal tax practice advising clients on matters related to the federal tax treatment of municipal debt instruments. He has been involved in the federal tax analysis of a wide variety of financings, including financings for state and local governments, housing finance authorities, higher education institutions and 501(c)(3) organizations. John also has represented financial guarantors providing credit enhancement for municipal bond issues and securitizations of mortgages, auto loans, student loans and other assets.
- Representing state governments in the issuance of general obligation bonds for numerous capital projects.
- Bond counsel for local governmental bonds financing office buildings, parking garages, utility improvements, and other facilities.
- Counsel to several state housing agencies and localities in their issuance of single-family and multi-family housing bonds.
- Bond counsel on financings for stadiums, arenas, and convention centers, including NFL and NCAA facilities.
- Representing issuers and borrowers in financings for 501(c)(3) educational and health care organizations.
- Counsel to for-profit corporations and lenders in private activity bond transactions, including small issue manufacturing and disaster relief bond programs.
- Assisting issuers and borrowers with post-issuance tax compliance, including developing practices and procedures, providing training, and addressing compliance challenges relating to expenditures, investments, and private business use.
- Representing issuers and borrowers in connection with IRS audits and applications for relief under the IRS Voluntary Closing Agreement Program.