- J.D., Creighton University School of Law, cum laude
- B.A., DePauw University
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Nebraska Bar Association
- Omaha Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Nebraska Bar Association House of Delegates
- Trail Attorneys of America
Matt represents designers, manufacturers, sellers, distributors, end users and employees in high exposure and complex matters throughout the United States arising from explosions and fires, as well as industrial, construction and trucking accidents. Matt has litigated cases involving industrial, automotive, agricultural, recreational, household and energy-related products. He also guides clients through OSHA investigations and voluntary recalls with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Health Canada. In addition to his products liability and personal injury matters, Matt represents life insurers in rescission, fraud and benefit disputes throughout the country.
Prior to joining Kutak Rock, Matt was an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Nebraska where he was a member of the Criminal Bureau. He prosecuted and investigated matters ranging from white-collar crime to sexual abuse and routinely argued cases before the Nebraska Supreme Court and Court of Appeals. Utilizing this experience, Matt maintains a strong government disputes practice in which he represents clients in fraud and false claim matters, as well as criminal and civil investigations and matters with the DOJ, SEC, FDIC and other government agencies.
- State of Nebraska (Assistant Attorney General)
- Nebraska Accountability and Disclosure Commission (Commissioner)
- Successfully guided multiple clients through voluntary recalls with the CPSC and Health Canada.
- Obtained deletion of OSHA citation for alleged violation of general duty clause.
- Defeated request for preliminary injunction after four-day evidentiary hearing related to a service contract.
- Successfully defended anti-trust and tortious interference lawsuit alleging $145 million in damages.
- Defeated claim for indemnification arising from contractor’s significant burn injuries sustained while maintaining wind turbine.
- Obtained dismissal in professional negligence claim alleging attorney defrauded clients.
- Obtained sanctions and award of attorney’s fees for frivolous appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for Seventh Circuit.
- Defeated bad faith life insurance claim after four-day arbitration.
- Super Lawyers®, Rising Star, 2013-2018
- Benchmark Litigation, Under 40 Hot List, 2016-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell®, “AV Preeminent” rating
- Benchmark Litigation, Future Star, 2015-2016