- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, 2014, cum laude
- Ph.D., The Johns Hopkins University, 1993, (Postdoctoral Fellow, Cell Biology and Genetics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)
- B.S., Loyola University, Maryland, 1986
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- New Jersey, 2014
- Missouri, 2016
Dr. Zahner is a life sciences and biotechnology patent attorney in Kutak Rock's Intellectual Property and Technology Practice Group. Before joining Kutak Rock, Dr. Zahner worked in-house for Regeneron Pharmaceuticals and Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, and directed Saint Louis University’s licensing office.
Before working as an intellectual property professional, Dr. Zahner was an assistant professor at Saint Louis University, teaching molecular and developmental biology, and conducting research on cell polarity and stem cell biology. His technical expertise relates to plant and animal genetics, genomics, embryology, developmental biology, cell biology, biochemistry, nanotechnology and biotechnology.
His law practice focuses on technology transfer and commercialization, global patent procurement, intellectual property licensing, portfolio development and due diligence, third-party actions, and freedom-to-operate, infringement/non-infringement, design-around and validity/invalidity opinion work. Dr. Zahner's practice includes the following technical subject matters:
- Biopharmaceutical production cell lines
- Biopharmaceutical manufacturing processes
- Pharmaceutical formulations
- Stem cell technologies (iPSCs, adult stem cells, and mES)
- Recombineering and GMOs
- Devices (medical, diagnostic, food safety)
- Animal health
Dr. Zahner is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).