- J.D., University of Denver College of Law
- B.A., Northwestern University
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- National Commercial Panelist and Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
- Colorado Judicial Institute, Past Chairman of the Board
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Colorado Bar Association, Fellow
- Colorado Supreme Court, Commissioner
- Colorado Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Uniform Mediation Act Task Force
- ADR Qualifications Steering Committee
Peter, Senior of Counsel in the firm, currently concentrates on service as an arbitrator on the National Panel of the American Arbitration Association in commercial and large complex business cases with alleged damages in the multimillion-dollar range. He has served as an arbitrator in numerous arbitrations, both as the sole arbitrator and as a panel member or chair. Peter also has served as a mediator in a variety of commercial disputes.
In additional to arbitration, Peter actively practices in nonprofit law, nonprofit issues and corporate governance, and also provides advice on insurance issues, insurance contracts, including captive insurance company practices, corporate compliance and risk management litigation. Other areas in which he continues to practice litigation and counseling are: partnership lawsuits, health care, senior living, and assisted living care matters, trademark, trade name and intellectual property counseling and litigation. He also has experience in a broad range of telecommunications and cable matters.
Peter’s alternative dispute resolution training includes:
- Meeting the AAA continuing legal education requirement each year for service on the national panel by attending a variety of arbitration related seminars or presentations.
- AAA Conducting Research & Investigations, 2014
- Colorado State Bar, Annual Statewide ADR Conference, 2011, 2009
- AAA Arbitration Awards: Safeguarding, Deciding & Writing Awards (ACE001), 2007, 2005
- AAA Chairing an Arbitration Panel: Managing Procedures, Process & Dynamics (ACE005), 2007
- AAA Pro Se: Managing Cases Involving Self-Represented Parties (ACE002), 2004
- AAA Arbitrator Update, 2003
- CDR Mediation Process Training, 2002
- AAA Commercial Arbitrator II Training, 2002
- AAA Arbitrator I Training-Fundamentals of the Arbitration Process, 2002
- AAA Beyond the Basics Corporate Dispute Management 2000
- AAA, Techniques in Mediation Advocacy, 1995
- Several cases involving intellectual property disputes including alleged infringement of a patent and license contracts; trademark and tradename disputes; and software license contract disputes.
- A variety of franchise agreement disputes, including violations of unfair competition practices; alleged violations of franchise confidential materials and trade secrets; alleged damages to franchise business; and contractual disputes arising out of the franchise agreements.
- Many significant insurance disputes including insurance coverage determinations; disputes between an insurance company and a reinsurer over alleged payments and terms of reinsurance agreement; breaches of insureds claim services agreements; breach of contract and claims insurance arising out of Hurricane Katrina; and general insurance contract language disputes.
- Dispute between telephone carriers over employment contract services; dispute over contested sales agreements for interconnect and broadband services; and dispute between telephone company carriers over network facility installation conduits in five cities.
- An unlawful theft case and claims involving an inventor and a sales agreement.
- Breach of duty and negligence claims over handling of an IRS account.
- Represents a significant variety of clients on intellectual property, business tort, employment-related matters, commercial litigation, and general corporate advice and counseling.
- Formerly was General Counsel, Litigation/Risk Management for U.S. West, Inc., the former Bell system regional telecommunications company, where he tried, managed and supervised complex telecommunications and civil suits for the company and all its subsidiaries.
- Former officer and President of the captive insurance company of U.S. West, Inc., the former Bell system regional telecommunications corporation, where he created, developed and counseled on corporate governance and insurance issues, including claims loss analysis, setting premiums and experience with actuaries.
- Represented several complex class action lawsuits involving telecommunications practices and procedures.
- Member of the trial team in the antitrust matter Department of Justice v. AT&T where he participated in the trial and subsequent counseling in the divestiture of the Bell system. He served on the contingent liability committee managing major former Bell system antitrust, contract, employment, tort and telecommunications cases, including major EPA and environmental matters.
- Colorado Super Lawyers®, 2006-2018
- University of Denver Law Stars Outstanding Alumni Award, recipient, 2007
- Denver Business Journal’s Power Book, one of 10 people featured as a leader in the field of law for contributions to the business community and commitment to excellence of the Colorado judiciary, 2006
- Eagle Scout, Long’s Peak Council, Colorado