- J.D., University of Nebraska College of Law, cum laude
- LL.M., University of Nebraska College of Law
- B.A., Valparaiso University, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Dakota
- South Dakota
- Pilots Bar Association
- State Bar of South Dakota, Young Lawyers Section Board of Directors (former member)
- American Bar Association, Science and Technology Section, Forum on Air and Space Law - Drone Law Subcommittee, Young Lawyers Division
Jacob is a transactional attorney in the firm’s Intellectual Property & Information Technology Group, where he regularly drafts and negotiates technologically complex transactions. He is also a member of the Data Security and Privacy Practice Group, where he focuses on cybersecurity, data privacy, and emerging technologies.
Jacob knows that every new client brings a unique and diverse set of needs to each engagement. Some need a firm negotiator to understand and advocate for their complex operations. Others need a calm advisor to help them respond to a risk, conflict, or emergency. All of them want to walk away feeling informed and prepared. Jacob gets to know his clients, exceeds their expectation, and teaches them along the way.
Jacob holds an LL.M. in Space, Cyber, and Telecommunications Law and keeps abreast of the latest state, federal, and global trends in those complicated areas. He lectures regularly on GDPR, especially its extraterritorial application to U.S. and multinational companies.
Jacob is also uniquely familiar with drones and the unique legal challenges faced by commercial drone operators in the United States. He worked extensively on data security, privacy, and physical security risks related to drones and counter-drone technology during his LL.M. He is a member of the ABA Forum on Air & Space Law and an original member of its Drone Subcommittee.
- "Death, Taxes & Data Breaches," Nebraska Banker, May/June 2018 Edition, p. 12 (author)
- "Junhong: Aviation, Admiralty, and Space Pirates," The Air & Space Lawyer, Vol. 29, June 2, 2016 (author)
- “Flytenow v. FAA: Perez and the Uber Problem,” ABA Young Lawyers Division - Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice Newsletter, Winter 2016 (author)
- “GDPR: Extraterritoriality,” Kutak Rock Annual Finance Seminar, December 2018 (CLE instructor)
- “Drone Law 101,” Nebraska State Bar Association Annual Meeting, October 2018 (CLE instructor)
- “GDPR: 6 Month Update,” Nebraska State Bar Association Annual Meeting, October 2018 (CLE instructor)
- "GDPR: 4 Month Update," Nebraska Cybersecurity Conference, September 2018 (CLE Instructor)
- "Evaluating Cyber Security Risks and Cyber Preparedness for Organizations," The Knowledge Group Webinar, May 2018 (co-presenter)
- "Air Law," University of Nebraska College of Law (Drone Law), March 2018 (guest lecturer)
- "The Legal Environment of Business," Doane University, Fall 2017 (adjunct professor)
- Advised healthcare providers and vendors regarding new product and service lines affected by HIPAA, HITECH, FDA guidelines, and other regulations.
- Advised other clients on legal risks and solutions relating to new product and service lines that touched emerging technologies such as biometric authentication, blockchain use cases, cloud computing, artificial intelligence, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), counter-UAS technology, and beyond visual line-of-sight UAS operations.
- Advised a large U.S. employer regarding its implementation of biometric employee authentication programs.
- Advised a global data analytics and software development company through transition to NIST Framework-compliant information security program.
- Assisted litigation teams with technologically complex issues related to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA), Stored Communications Act (SCA), Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA), and other statutory and regulatory frameworks.
- Audited organizational compliance with laws, regulations, orders, and internal policies relating to cybersecurity and data privacy.
- Drafted and negotiated information security agreements between hospital system and vendors to improved vendor management posture for major healthcare provider.
- Drafted and negotiated joint marketing and other data sharing agreements across financial, healthcare, and other industries.
- Drafted and negotiated master agreements for software development company deploying blockchain and biometric identifier authentication structures.
- Drafted and negotiated non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements for major private equity firm.
- Drafted and negotiated telecommunications agreements for major financial services and healthcare providers
- Drafted and negotiated a wide variety of hardware development, integration, and acquisition agreements.
- Drafted and negotiated intellectual property transfers and licenses.
- Drafted and negotiated agreements for consulting and other professional services.
- Oversaw data breach analyses and responses for small, mid-sized, large, and multi-national companies affected by all fifty state data breach notification laws, U.S. industry-specific laws including HIPAA and GLBA, and international frameworks including GDPR.
- Performed due diligence for mergers & acquisitions, vendor and supplier agreements, and other corporate transactions.
- Prepared trademark searches, applications, and responses