- J.D., University of Kansas School of Law
- M.B.A., Keller Graduate School of Management, with Distinction
- B.S., Kansas State University
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Martindale-Hubbell®, "AV" rating
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Franchise Forum ABA
Jay has more than 35 years of corporate law experience and has served as national counsel to several auto finance companies, handling loan documentation, workouts, bankruptcy and other litigation, as well as nationwide litigation management. He served as Chair of Kutak Rock from 2017 to 2022.
In 2018, after 34 years of military service, Jay retired from the Kansas Air National Guard as a Brigadier General. He was the assistant Adjutant General-Air, and Commander, Kansas Air National Guard. Jay is a veteran KC-135 pilot. He flew in Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, where he received the Distinguished Flying Cross for his actions in recovering a badly damaged aircraft.
Throughout his career, Jay has represented corporations, financial institutions and manufacturers in a wide range of matters pertaining to commercial credit and lending, real estate loans and transactions and the representation of creditors in bankruptcy. He has particular expertise in dealing with automotive finance and franchise issues, and regularly represented lenders and franchisors in commercial transactions and bankruptcy matters across the country.