- J.D., Southern Illinois University School of Law
- M.B.A., Southern Illinois University
- M.E., Southern Illinois University
- B.S., Southern Illinois University
Thomas is a registered patent attorney, civil/structural engineer, and self-professed expert tinkerer. His practice focuses on all aspects of intellectual property law, including trademark, utility patent, and design patent prosecution. Thomas is experienced in handling procurement of intellectual property across the globe, regularly handling prosecution in the United States as well as with international bodies such as the World Intellectual Property Organization. His business background allows him to advise clients on the legal technicalities of intellectual property while working with clients to develop an IP portfolio strategy which harmonizes with their overall business goals. He has prosecuted patents related to a wide array of technologies, including:
- 3d printing (including in-situ applications of the technology).
- Mechanical and electrical devices (e.g., scientific measurement instruments, civil electrical supply equipment, combustion and jet engines).
- Software (e.g., financial, marketing, training for the workplace).
- Commercial machinery (e.g., food processing machinery, commercial washing systems, packaging and processing equipment).
- Medical devices (e.g., dental implants, surgical tools and methodologies, accessories aiding in recovery or rehabilitation).
- Designs (e.g., shoes and sole patterns, cases for mobile electronics, scientific instruments).
Thomas also has an affinity for trademarks, specifically those within the recreational and board games industry. He has advised clients on prioritizing various brand names and how to structure their trademark portfolios to find the most efficient path to broad trademark protection.