- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law, with High Distinction
- B.A., University of Iowa, Special liberal arts honors program; Phi Beta Kappa
American Bar Association
Denver Bar Association
Colorado Women's Bar Association
The Alliance of Professional Women, President, 2001-2002
The Alliance Foundation
Lou concentrates her practice in commercial real estate, real estate development, finance and related banking and litigation matters. Since joining the firm in 1983, she has been involved in the representation of lenders in connection with real estate-secured financing transactions, structured finance transactions and debt and development issues. She also has represented numerous developers and owners of commercial real estate projects, addressing construction, financing and leasing matters.
In recent years, Lou has been involved in several significant public-private joint development transactions, representing municipalities and county entities in connection with hotel and convention center projects. These projects include significant and diverse sources of government funding and require a keen understanding of how, in the development and construction process, the interests of developer and governmental entity overlap and contrast. Her extensive experience in commercial real estate development, construction and financing have allowed her to assist in guiding the parties to a successful and mutually beneficial project conclusion.
During periods of economic growth, Lou has represented lenders and conduit entities in making and placing commercial mortgage debt, and developer borrowers in entitlement, financing and development projects, including negotiating construction agreements and obtaining construction and permanent financing. In weak economic times, she has represented lenders, special servicers of CMBS assets and the U.S. Government in loan enforcement and restructuring, loan sales, foreclosures, workouts, receiverships, cash management issues and asset disposition. Lou has lectured on workout, foreclosure and deed in lieu of foreclosure matters in these recessionary times and has guided several national lenders in establishing a process for working through their defaulted Colorado debt portfolios. Even during these distressed financial times, she has completed new financings through bond and New Markets Tax Credit vehicles.
With her broad experience, leadership and business-minded approach, Lou has effectively guided her clients to successful resolutions for more than 30 years.
- Honorable Allen L. Donielson, Iowa Court of Appeals, Law Clerk, 1982
- "Special Issues in Distressed Commercial Loan Workouts and the Increasing Use of Receiverships to Maximize Recovery," Colorado Bar Real Estate Symposium Panel, 2011
- "Commercial Loan Securitization: the “New” CMBS 2.0/3.0 Platform," Colorado Bar Real Estate Symposium Panel, 2013
- Represented local and conduit lenders in the origination of commercial mortgage loans, including shopping center, senior housing, multifamily housing, office and mixed use debt.
- Represented conduit lenders in the securitization of commercial real estate loans.Representing numerous lenders in connection with construction financing, commercial loans, workouts, loan sales, loan portfolio management issues, complex title insurance matters and forbearance structuring.
- Representing sellers and buyers of commercial properties.
- Representing master and special servicers of REMIC and grantor trusts in connection with distressed loan workouts, foreclosures and portfolio loan sales.
- Represented governmental entities in P3 transactions with developers in the development and financing of complex hotel and convention center projects.
- Representing national lenders and CMBS Special Servicer in connection with multiple defaulted grocery-anchored shopping center debt.
- Counsel to a variety of financial institutions to assist them with workout and restructuring of their portfolios of distressed commercial, homebuilder and LIHTC loans.
- Created and restructured both commercial and residential condominium projects and resolved problematic Declaration and operational issues for developed communities.
- Negotiated settlement and deed in lieu of foreclosure arrangements on commercial properties in Denver, Colorado Springs and Aspen, Colorado.
- Negotiated and documented construction financing for mixed use development and including New Market Tax Credit financing for hotel property.
- Represented the developer and operator of continuing care retirement communities in Denver, Colorado.