- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, Georgetown Journal of International Law
- A.B., Georgetown University
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Colorado Municipal Bond Dealers Association
Dan serves as bond counsel to municipalities, counties and other local government issuers and has an extremely broad range of experience in the roles of bond counsel, underwriter's counsel, issuer's counsel, counsel to lenders and trustees and in other capacities for virtually every type of state and local government finance transaction in the region. He was one of the first lawyers in the region to prepare an official statement under the original MFOA (now GFOA) disclosure guidelines for a municipal bond issue.
Dan was the Co-chair of the Colorado Municipal League TABOR Technical Review Committee from 1992 to 2003. He personally argued the landmark TABOR case of Aurora v. Acosta before the Colorado Supreme Court. That case established the substantial compliance standard applicable to elections under TABOR and provided the first definitive ruling on the constitutional notice requirements applicable in mail ballot elections under TABOR. It also confirmed the right of the voters in local communities to exempt, or "de-Bruce," particular categories of revenues from TABOR limits. It is estimated that this part of the Acosta decision is currently being followed by over 200 Colorado municipalities and numerous other local government units.
Dan is a widely known authority on TABOR, Colorado's tax limitation measure, and is the only Colorado bond counsel who has personally argued a TABOR case before the Colorado Supreme Court.
- Bond counsel for approximately $600,000,000 of revenue bond financings for one of the most innovative municipal water financings recently undertaken in the United States. The largest of these issues was named a Bond Buyer “Deal of the Year” in 2007.
- Instrumental in several infill development projects and military base conversions.
- Experienced with the negotiation and restructuring of municipal financings utilizing variable rate and derivative features.
- Active in the financing of rural critical access hospitals in Colorado.
- Super Lawyers®, 2006-2009, 2019