- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law
- B.A., Gonzaga University
- National Association of Bond Lawyers (past Chair, Professional Responsibility Committee)
- American Bar Association, State and Local Government Law Section (past Chair, Public Finance Committee)
- American Bar Association (past Chair, Subcommittee on Municipal Securities)
- American Bar Association (Publications Subcommittee)
- Muni Council – Disclosure USA
Roy has primarily served as bond counsel to numerous states, cities, counties, school districts, special purpose districts, underwriters and banks, colleges and universities. In addition, Roy has provided general municipal advice to a large array of clients with respect to tax, investment, finance and regulatory issues.
Roy has represented a large diversity of clients in the public finance sector, including governmental issues throughout most of the western United States, investment banks, commercial banks, universities, colleges and developers. Representative clients include the states of Washington and Montana, various public utility districts in the state of Washington, numerous school districts and library districts throughout the state of Washington, Spokane County, Montana Public Power Authority, various cities in Washington, Idaho and Montana, Barclays Capital Inc., Bank of America, N.A., and other major national banks.
- City of Missoula, Missoula County, Montana, Water System Revenue Bond Anticipation Notes, Series 2017A and Series 2017B; Principal Amount of $138,225,000; Dated as of June 22, 2017
Roy served as bond counsel to the City of Missoula, Montana for a $138 million sale of bond anticipation notes to purchase its water system from the world’s second-largest hedge fund. The financing closed in 2017 following nine years of legal battles to condemn and purchase the City’s water system through Montana’s eminent domain statutes. Intensive collaboration among all parties resulted in a complex financing structure and a closing that coincided with the timing of a Montana District Court Final Condemnation Order. The one-of-a-kind financing has been awarded by The Bond Buyer as its 2017 Deal of the Year for Small Issuer Financing.
- Washington Higher Education Facilities Authority Revenue Bonds (Gonzaga University Project), Series 2013A; Principal Amount of $33,000,000; and Taxable Revenue Bonds (Gonzaga University Project), Series 2013B; Principal Amount of $20,000,000; Dated as of December 20, 2013
In 2013, Roy served as counsel to the Corporation of Gonzaga University, and was an integral part of the above-captioned bond financing, which provided a portion of the funds to plan, design, construct, install, acquire, equip and furnish a new university center facility, the John. J. Hemmingson Center, located on Gonzaga University’s campus in Spokane, Washington. The Hemmingson Center is the centerpiece of the University’s campus, providing a meeting place for all students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the guests of Gonzaga University to dine, meet, lounge, and hold conferences and events.
- Public Finance Authority, Taxable Lease Revenue Bonds (U.S. District Court of Guam Project), Series 2017; Principal Amount of $27,070,000; Dated as of April 6, 2017
In April 2017, Roy served as bond and disclosure counsel to the Public Finance Authority, to accomplish a financing in the Territory of Guam to provide funds to finance the repayment of an existing loan, the proceeds of which were used to finance the construction of a federal facility housing the United States District Court for the District of Guam and eight other federal agencies, secured by leases between the MVP Federal Leasing LLC, the Borrower, and the United States of America, acting by and through the General Services Administration.