- J.D., Creighton University School of Law
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Pat focuses his practice on potentially catastrophic claims, including professional liability matters involving lawyers, accountants, architects and engineers, products liability, environmental cleanup, and officers’ and directors’ liability. He has a strong background in alternative dispute resolutions and regularly mediates multiparty claims and complex coverage disputes. He provides coverage analyses and opinions for corporations and insurers in various insurance-related matters.
Pat represents clients in insurance litigation, including declaratory judgment actions, bad-faith suits, subrogation actions and disputes among insurers. Pat also has appeared pro hac in numerous courts across the nation.
Pat supervises and manages claims and coverage litigation in federal and state courts throughout the United States. In addition, Pat has served as general counsel to the firm for 22 years.
- Represented an insurer and obtained a declaratory judgment that false billing claims made by the government against the insured under the False Claims Act were not covered, and there was no duty to defend or indemnify.
- Successfully obtained a judgment entitling an insurer to recoup more than $1 million of its defense costs which it had paid while defending the underlying action under a reservation of rights.