- J.D., University of Nebraska College of Law
- U.S. Supreme Court
- District of Columbia
At the federal level, Senator Karnes’ governmental practice involves healthcare, defense, banking, agriculture, appropriations and a wide range of other domestic Congressional matters.
During his Senate tenure, Senator Karnes served as a member of the Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee, the Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry Committee and the Small Business Committee. He served as a White House Fellow, as a member of the domestic policy staff of the White House, as a senior official of the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, as a member of the U.S. Advisory Committee on Trade Policy and Negotiations and as counsel to the Federal Home Loan Bank Board – Washington, D.C.
He also served as Chairman and member of the Board of Directors of the $30 billion Federal Home Loan Bank of Topeka.
- United States Senator
- White House Domestic Policy Staff
- Chief of Staff, Office of the Deputy Secretary of Department of Housing and Urban Development, Washington, D.C.
- Counsel to Federal Home Loan Bank Board, Washington, D.C.
- Chairman, Tenth District Federal Home Loan Bank
- U.S. DOT/FAA Commercial Space Transportation Advisory Committee (COMSTAC), member