- J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law
- B.S., Rockhurst University, cum laude; Chemistry
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (BAMSL) 2005-13
Young Lawyers Division Executive Committee, 2008-13, Chair, 2013-2014; Chair-Elect, 2012-2013; Vice-Chair, 2011-2012; Secretary, 2010-2011; Member-at-Large, 2008-2010
Motion for Kids (formerly Project Angel Tree) Committee, 2007-13, Co-chair, 2010-2012
Women in the Legal Profession 2006-13, CLE Chair, 2007-2011
American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), 2003-2013
The Lawyers Association of St. Louis, 2005-2013
Young Friends of Missouri Botanical Garden, council member, 2007-2013
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri Volunteer Lawyer
Sara works with her clients to identify and protect all types of intellectual property rights.
She regularly defends numerous small and large companies from claims of patent, trademark, and copyright infringement, as well as unfair competition and counterfeiting. She works with her clients to proactively identify potential infringement and prevent the misuse of their trademarks, patents, copyrights and trade secrets. She has experience working with various social media companies to quickly and cost-effectively remove improper uses of her clients’ trademarks and copyrighted material.
Sara also assesses and advises her clients regarding the risks of litigation and potential damages presented by cease-and-desist letters. She works with her clients to find the most efficient and cost-conscious method of resolving intellectual property disputes. Many times this includes re-designed products and packaging to avoid potential infringement and minimize any potential damages.
As a patent attorney, Sara assists her clients to identify their inventions and develop cost efficient strategies to best protect those inventions via either patent applications or maintaining the invention as a trade secret. She also provides freedom-to-operate, patent landscape survey, and patentability opinions.
Sara has handled matters before the International Trade Commission (ITC); U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; Eastern District of Missouri; Western District of Missouri; Eastern District of Texas; Southern District of Illinois; Middle District of Florida; Southern District of Florida; and Western District of North Carolina.
Sara is experienced in representing clients in a variety of industries, including:
- construction safety equipment
- electronic voting equipment
- body jewelry
- encryption methods
- medical devices
- banking products
- tattoo supplies
- toy models
- women’s accessories
- Defending clients in lawsuits brought by non-practicing entities (i.e., patent trolls).
- Defending clients in all types of patent and trademark litigation, including proceedings at International Trade Commission.
- Negotiating licensing agreements for patents, trademarks and copyrights.
- Conducting, advising and assisting clients on trademark cancelation proceedings.
- Copyright litigation and filing.
- Trademark registering and enforcement.
- Developing procedures and employment agreements to protect trade secrets.
- Drafting and prosecuting utility patents.
- Drafting and prosecuting design patents.
- Defending claims of unfair competition.
- Preparing non-disclosure agreements.
- Responding to cease-and-desist letters.
- Preparing cease-and-desist letters.
- Developing design-around options to avoid potential infringement.
- Preparing non-infringement patent opinions, freedom-to-operate and patent invalidity opinions.
- Missouri Bar Leadership Academy 2011-12
- Platinum Member of the Missouri pro bono Hall of Fame