- J.D., Saint Louis University School of Law
- B.S., Rockhurst University, cum laude; Chemistry
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (BAMSL) 2005-13
Young Lawyers Division Executive Committee, 2008-13, Chair, 2013-2014; Chair-Elect, 2012-2013; Vice-Chair, 2011-2012; Secretary, 2010-2011; Member-at-Large, 2008-2010
Motion for Kids (formerly Project Angel Tree) Committee, 2007-13, Co-chair, 2010-2012
Women in the Legal Profession 2006-13, CLE Chair, 2007-2011
American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), 2003-2013
The Lawyers Association of St. Louis, 2005-2013
Young Friends of Missouri Botanical Garden, council member, 2007-2013
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri Volunteer Lawyer
With her experience as a chemist and graphic designer, Sara works with her clients to maximize their business opportunities. From developing innovative cannabis products, registering intellectual property at the state and federal level, to navigating complex regulatory compliance for a variety of products, Sara assists her clients to achieve their business vision.
Sara works with her clients to identify and protect all types of intellectual property rights, including patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, and trade dress. She then works to efficiently comply with a wide variety of federal and state regulations for a variety of products and services, including USPTO, FDA, USDA, and various state cannabis regulations.
Sara has secured trademark rights in a wide variety of industries including cannabis, professional services, alcoholic beverages, tattoo supplies, and personal care products. She works with her clients to proactively identify potential infringement and prevent the misuse of their trademarks, patents, copyrights and trade secrets. She has experience working with various social media companies to quickly and cost-effectively remove improper uses of her clients’ trademarks and copyrighted material.
Sara regularly represents clients at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), specifically the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board (TTAB) and Patent Trial and Appeals Board (PTAB). She regularly defends numerous small and large companies from claims of patent, trademark, and copyright infringement, as well as unfair competition and counterfeiting. Sara also assist her clients in Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceedings.
Sara assesses and advises her clients regarding the risks of litigation and potential damages presented by cease-and-desist letters. She works with her clients to proactively identify potential issues and provides copyright analysis for websites and visual works, including assessments of fair use. Sara prides herself in finding the most efficient and cost-conscious methods to resolve intellectual property disputes. Many times, this includes re-worded labels, re-designed products and packaging, and adjustments to images to avoid potential infringement and minimize any potential damages.
Sara also helps her clients navigate FDA compliance for medical devices and personal care products, including 510(k) applications.
As a patent attorney, Sara assists her clients to identify their inventions and develop cost efficient strategies to best protect those inventions via either patent applications or maintaining the invention as a trade secret. She also provides freedom-to-operate, patent landscape survey, and patentability opinions.
Sara has handled intellectual property cases before the International Trade Commission (ITC); U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; District of Arizona; Central District of California; Eastern District of Missouri; Western District of Missouri; Eastern District of Texas; Southern District of Illinois; Middle District of Florida; Southern District of Florida; District of Kansas; Western District of North Carolina; Middle District of Tennessee; Eastern District of Texas; and District of Wyoming.
Sara is experienced in representing clients in a variety of industries, including:
- construction safety equipment
- electronic voting equipment
- body jewelry
- encryption methods
- medical devices
- banking products
- tattoo supplies
- toy models
- women’s accessories
- Defending clients in lawsuits brought by non-practicing entities (i.e., patent trolls).
- Defending clients in all types of patent and trademark litigation, including proceedings at International Trade Commission.
- Negotiating licensing agreements for patents, trademarks and copyrights.
- Conducting, advising and assisting clients on trademark cancelation proceedings.
- Copyright litigation and filing.
- Trademark registering and enforcement.
- Developing procedures and employment agreements to protect trade secrets.
- Drafting and prosecuting utility patents.
- Drafting and prosecuting design patents.
- Defending claims of unfair competition.
- Preparing non-disclosure agreements.
- Responding to cease-and-desist letters.
- Preparing cease-and-desist letters.
- Developing design-around options to avoid potential infringement.
- Preparing non-infringement patent opinions, freedom-to-operate and patent invalidity opinions.
- Missouri Bar Leadership Academy 2011-12
- Platinum Member of the Missouri pro bono Hall of Fame