- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law, with High Distinction
- B.S., University of Nebraska, Chemical Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Supreme Court of Nebraska
- Supreme Court of Wisconsin
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
A registered patent attorney, Sean provides a variety of intellectual property services, with an emphasis on patent prosecution before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, litigation and transactional services related to licensing and due diligence. He also provides product clearance services including non-infringement and invalidity opinions and consulting regarding patent design-arounds. He has experience with a wide range of technology areas including computer software and hardware, pharmaceuticals, petroleum production, materials science and various consumer products.
Sean’s intellectual property experience extends to other aspects of technology law and he routinely advises clients on a wide variety of matters including preparation and negotiation of licensing, development, outsourcing and distribution agreements in the software and technology industries, providing counseling on Internet laws and regulations, open-source software analysis and the protection and commercialization of trademarks and copyrights. He also drafts and negotiates a variety of intellectual property agreements including service agreements, SaaS hosting agreements, licenses, asset purchases and nondisclosure agreements.
Sean is an avid hunter, shooter and reloader. He is a founding member of the firm’s National Firearms Practice group and provides intellectual property counsel to manufacturers of firearms, firearm accessories and other outdoor equipment.
Sean's practice focuses on patent and trademark prosecution as well as assisting clients with drafting and negotiating all legal aspects of vendor contracts. He routinely assists manufactures and retailers with technology related vendor contracts involving intellectual property, data security and privacy issues. These agreements include service agreements, subscriptions, hosted solutions, software licenses and hardware purchases all of which are dealt with by any business with an ecommerce presence.
He has worked with a variety of firearms and sporting companies that produce or sell reloading equipment, ammunition components, firearms, and a variety of firearm accessories.
In addition to patent and trademark prosecution, Sean also provides freedom to operate, non-infringement and invalidity opinions; he drafts and negotiates agreements related to intellectual property including licenses, asset purchases and nondisclosure agreements. He has successfully used his experience with firearms and firearm accessories to assist clients in designing around existing patent claims to avoid infringement risks.
- Negotiating and drafting technology vendor contracts for businesses of all sizes ranging from Fortune 100 companies to startups.
- Defending ecommerce and financial service companies in patent litigations brought by non-practicing entities.
- Drafting and prosecuting patent applications for reloading equipment and firearms accessories.
- Filing and prosecuting trademark applications for firearms manufacturers.
- Provided guidance to manufactures of ammunition components regarding intellectual property risks.