- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
- B.S., James Madison University
In his position at GSA, Rich was lead counsel for a number of P3 opportunities, including Utility Energy Savings Contracts and Energy Savings Performance Contracts, as well as complex power purchase agreements.
Real Property Disposal
Rich has provided counsel on legal authority, appropriations law and scoring implications of proposed exchanges and outleases.
Rich’s experience has been recognized with project awards within GSA, and through commendations from the Secretary of Defense, the Secretaries of the individual military services and the Secretary of Energy, among other agencies.
- Office of General Counsel of the General Services Administration, 1987-2017 (Senior Assistant General Counsel)
- “Current Legal Issues for Federal Utility Procurement,” Energy Exchange, Cleveland, OH, August 2018
- “Financing Energy Resiliency: Differences from Financing Energy Efficiency,” National Association of Energy Service Companies, Technology and Financing Workshop, Milwaukee, WI, June 2018
- “Best Practices in Energy Procurement,” Department of Energy, Federal Utility Partnership Working Group, Nashville, TN, April 2018
- “Defining and Acquiring Resilience for Military Bases,” Association of Defense Communities, Installation Innovation Forum, San Diego, CA, February 2018
- Provided counsel and support to the GSA ESPC PMO, which has awarded over $500 million in contracts, and is responsible for legal issues arising from unique energy acquisition contracts, such as utility areawide contracts, complex power purchase agreements like the DC Solar Challenge, and individual ESPC and UESC transactions.
- Assisted in the use of GSA contract vehicles for P3 opportunities by other federal agencies, resulting in the award of over $2 billion in such contracts by those agencies.
Real Property Disposal
- Agency counsel for the historic preservation outlease of the NASA Moffett Field, which relieved NASA of facility maintenance and security obligations, including environmental and historic preservation requirements, and will return over $1 billion in lease revenue to NASA over the initial term of the lease.
- Lead counsel for the recent exchange transaction between GSA and MIT for the Volpe Center campus in Cambridge, MA, which resulted in $750 million in value to the Federal Government.
- Provided counsel on various complex real property reutilization transactions including:
- Sunflower and Volunteer Army Ammunition Plants
- Governor’s Island
- Lorton Correctional Facility
- Hamilton Air Force Base
- St. Elizabeth's Hospital