The Spokane office has an immediate opening for a full-time Litigation Legal Assistant to join the Litigation Department. This position provides legal secretarial support to multiple trial lawyers in a busy litigation practice in both state and federal courts, who are committed to providing high-quality work product. The selected candidate must have strong attention to detail. The selected candidate must also be proficient in Windows 10 and Microsoft Office products, have an aptitude to learn new software platforms unique to Kutak Rock, and adapt to changing technology. A minimum of two years of litigation secretarial experience is preferred, but the firm will consider exceptional candidates with less experience. Familiarity with local, state, and federal court procedures and electronic court filing is also preferred. The ideal candidate works well under pressure and can prioritize and transition from one project to another. Normal business hours are 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday, with some flexibility specific to the Department and related work loads.
- Prepare, proofread, and edit pleadings, discovery, briefs, memoranda, and correspondence in draft and final form to incorporate revisions
- Maintain timekeepers’ calendars and monitor docketing deadlines, review documents and correspondence for important deadlines and information
- General office duties, such as preparing scans, copies, and printing
- Perform document comparisons using WorkShare
- Organize and maintain electronic files in the Firm’s document management system (NetDocs)
- Accept responsibility and take directions for work assignments and tasks
- Handle client communications (when appropriate) through telephone and e-mail
- Maintain, report and track Continuing Legal Education (CLE)
- Arrange travel and handle expense reports for attorneys
- Enter lawyers’ expenses for submission to Accounting Department through billing software (Intapp)
- Schedule conference calls, meetings, and professional organization events for attorneys
- Assist with other tasks as assigned or necessary within the Department
Requirements (Skills, Experience, Education)
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, including the use of charts, Styles and Table of Contents
- Capable of editing, combining, and assembling PDF documents
- Experience with Excel
- Excellent grammar, spelling, and proofreading skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work well under the pressures of deadlines, prioritize and multitask, and move from one project to another
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to learn new skills quickly
- An aptitude to interface with lawyers, clients, and staff
- Experience working with legal professionals or a law firm
- Punctual and dependable
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; college given preference
Salary Range: $42,000 - $62,000, commensurate with experience.
Kutak Rock LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse working environment and to principles that promote inclusive practices. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, domestic partner status, pregnancy, caregiver status, gender stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, AIDS/HIV status, handicap or disability, or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran, or any other legally protected category. The firm will provide reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Applicants requiring accommodation in the job application process should contact the Human Resources Department at 402-346-6000 or by emailing HRDepartment@KutakRock.com.
Kutak Rock LLP does not accept unsolicited referrals or resumes through our website from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider unsolicited referrals and/or resumes from vendors through our website including and without limitation, search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services and recruiting agencies. Unsolicited referrals and resumes sent to Kutak Rock LLP are deemed gratuitous, and the firm will not be obligated or bound in any way to pay any referral or other fee if a person referred to us through our website is hired from a source other than from the candidate.