Senior Business & Legal Research Analyst
The Senior Business & Legal Research Analyst reports to the Director of Knowledge Services and will provide expert legal and business research for the firm’s attorneys, paralegals, and administrative department. The person in the position must demonstrate initiative, a desire to learn new skills, be intellectually curious, and be willing to take ownership of projects. We are looking for a candidate with a proactive approach to the provision of research services.
This is a new full-time position that offers a hybrid work option in one of the following firm offices: Atlanta, Denver, Irvine, Little Rock, Los Angeles, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Omaha, Richmond, Scottsdale, Spokane, Springfield, Tallahassee, or Washington DC.
- Provide expert legal and business research assistance to the attorneys, paralegals, and administrative staff in a timely and efficient manner
- Maintain expert-level knowledge of internal resources and systems to enhance research deliverables
- Conduct in-depth research and analysis of companies, practice areas, geographic markets, and competitor law firms using a variety of online research tools, including data analysis of business and legal information and when needed the mining of raw data from dockets and other research databases
- Provide analysis and synthesis of research results and meaningful data visualization in the final work product
- Advise attorneys and paralegals on research strategy and resource selection to ensure research is accurate and conducted in the most efficient and cost-effective manner
- Handle Rule 506 Bad Actor research requests and provide an appropriate memorandum of searches and search findings
- Perform cite & quote checks of memorandums and briefs
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of intranet pages for Research Services, practice areas, and other administrative departments
- Manage current awareness alerts and track potential and current clients in multiple target markets and industries
- Assist in the development of training resources and training programs for attorneys and paralegals
- Participate in the ongoing evaluation of new research resources and processes
- Other projects as assigned by the Director of Knowledge Services
Qualifications: Skills & Abilities
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, prioritize and complete projects within provided timeframe
- Demonstrated proficiency in a variety of research and analytics databases including Westlaw Edge, Courthouse News, Hoovers, Mergent, VitalLaw (formerly Cheetah), and PACER
- Strong analytical skills
- Intermediate to advanced skills using Microsoft Excel pivot tables and pivot charts to create dashboards
- Experience creating, maintaining, and publishing content to an intranet
- Good judgment in deciding the most appropriate resources to use for cost effective research
- Clear, concise, and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proven success as a service-oriented, proactive, adaptable, responsible, and detail-oriented individual
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, often with team members in other offices and/or time zones
- Willingness to assist with various administrative duties and projects as necessary
- Requires the ability to regularly report to work on days and times scheduled
Qualifications: Education & Experience
- Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS, MLS) required
- Six-plus years of professional experience in a law firm, academic or special library, preferably three to five of the years in a law firm setting
- Working knowledge of an integrated library system (for example, SydneyEnterprise)
- Prior use of legal data analytics products
We are not seeking freelance researchers at this time and it is expected that candidates will not maintain additional outside interests.
The salary range for this position is $70-85k, commensurate with candidate experience and location.
Benefits offered include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Dependent Life, Disability, and Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance. Flexible Spending Plan. Health Savings Account. Profit-Sharing and 401(k) Retirement benefits. Paid Holidays and Paid-Time Off Plan. Employee Assistance Program. Tuition Reimbursement. Back-Up Care. Domestic Partner Benefits. Commuting Benefits. Some of the foregoing benefits include Employer/Employee cost sharing.
Kutak Rock requires all prospective employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to a state or local exemption procedure, or a reasonable accommodation for a bona fide medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief if accommodation does not cause Kutak Rock an undue hardship or pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others in the workplace and/or to the candidate who requested the accommodation.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
Kutak Rock LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse working environment and to principles that promote inclusive practices. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, domestic partner status, pregnancy, caregiver status, gender stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, AIDS/HIV status, handicap or disability, or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran, or any other legally protected category. The firm will provide reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Applicants requiring accommodation in the job application process should contact the Human Resources Department at 402-346-6000 or by emailing HRDepartment@KutakRock.com.
Kutak Rock LLP does not accept unsolicited referrals or resumes through our website from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider unsolicited referrals and/or resumes from vendors through our website including and without limitation, search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services and recruiting agencies. Unsolicited referrals and resumes sent to Kutak Rock LLP are deemed gratuitous, and the firm will not be obligated or bound in any way to pay any referral or other fee if a person referred to us through our website is hired from a source other than from the candidate.