Do you have a strong background in HR employment and employee relations? Do you enjoy supporting others? Are you looking for a position where you can learn and grow? Are you looking to become a part of an outstanding firm? If so, this could be the position for you.
Kutak Rock LLP is a national law firm with offices in 18 cities. We marshal our strength in numbers and geographic location to craft a firm wide collegial atmosphere that is deeply rooted in mutual respect, and further enhancing the professional and personal satisfaction of our lawyers and staff. In this way, we effectively utilize our national resources to deliver local results for the ultimate benefit of the clients we serve.
The Director, HR Employment and Employee Relations works with and provides senior-level leadership and guidance to the Firm’s HR operations. The Director is the senior staff leader regarding recruiting, staff performance and employee relations topics and reports to the Office of the Chair, the executive leaders of the Firm. The Director serves as the subject matter expert regarding performance coaching, conflict resolution, sourcing and recruiting processes, corrective action, workplace complaint and investigations and is responsible for setting, enforcing, and evaluating legally compliant human resources policies, procedures, and best practices, and identifying long-range strategic talent goals. This position is responsible for building strong relationships and providing support, guidance and support to the leadership of 18 offices concerning recruiting processes, performance appraisals, effectively recommending actions and also serves as the EEO/AA Officer and working together with the Firm Employment Counsel in all matters pertaining to requirements and investigating allegations of discrimination and/or sexual harassment. Working with the Chief Financial Officer, the Director, Benefits and HR Administration and the Retirement Plan Manager, the individual in this position also provides input to the Firm’s benefit plans and 401(k) profit sharing plan. This position also provides advice and counsel to the Office of the Chair on staffing, organizational design and employment-related issues.
Competencies, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of Federal and multi-state/local employment laws
- Commitment to supporting best practices in HR
- Strong background in guiding and supporting other leaders through HR related employee concern and issues
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, with a high attention to detail and a collaborative nature.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Team player and willingness to learn
- Strong execution and follow-through
- Responsiveness with ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize work
- Ability to influence outcomes effectively
- Ability to build and leverage enduring relationships
- Ability to work independently and in a remote/virtual environment
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources/Business Administration or related area or equivalent, SHRM certification, plus 8+ years related HR experience
- Performance and employee relations experience
- Experience advising leadership on a variety of HR topics
- Partner with office leaders to build effective sourcing, assessment, and closing approaches in recruiting with an ability to manage expectations of potential hires
- Experience conducting investigations
- Knowledge of personnel policy and procedure and federal and state laws regarding employment practices
- Solid interviewing and recruiting skills
- Experience with creating and standardizing job descriptions
- Strong Microsoft office skillset
Salary Range: $135,000 - $155,000, commensurate with experience.
Benefits offered include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, and Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance. Flexible Spending Plan. Health Savings Account. Profit-Sharing and 401(k) Retirement benefits. Paid Holidays and Vacation. Employee Assistance Program. Back-Up Care. Domestic Partner Benefits. Commuting Benefits. Some of the foregoing benefits include Employer/Employee cost sharing
Kutak Rock LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse working environment and to principles that promote inclusive practices. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, domestic partner status, pregnancy, caregiver status, gender stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, AIDS/HIV status, handicap or disability, or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran, or any other legally protected category. The firm will provide reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Applicants requiring accommodation in the job application process should contact the Human Resources Department at 402-346-6000 or by emailing HRDepartment@KutakRock.com.
Kutak Rock LLP does not accept unsolicited referrals or resumes through our website from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider unsolicited referrals and/or resumes from vendors through our website including and without limitation, search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services and recruiting agencies. Unsolicited referrals and resumes sent to Kutak Rock LLP are deemed gratuitous, and the firm will not be obligated or bound in any way to pay any referral or other fee if a person referred to us through our website is hired from a source other than from the candidate.