Kutak Rock LLP has an opening for a full-time Legal Secretary in its Chicago office. Kutak Rock is a national law firm with offices in 18 cities, and it has an excellent benefits package that extends firm-wide.
The successful candidate will support four lawyers in finance and litigation so a wide range of skills and experience is important. The individual will need to be proficient in Microsoft Office products, including Office 2013 and have a minimum of three years’ secretarial or related office experience in a law firm or legal department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and/or edits legal documents from handwritten, typed drafts or electronic sources
- Answer telephones and covers for others during work day
- Assist with client matters (as appropriate) through telephone and e-mail
- Keep records of lawyers’ time and expenses for submission to Accounting
- Maintain work calendars by scheduling appointments, conference calls, docketing, and other meetings
- Prepare travel arrangements
- General office duties, such as preparing copies, printing, organizing workspaces, maintaining supplies, etc.
- Organize and maintain extensive sets of files, both paper and electronic
- Must be flexible with hours when work demands; and other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- High School (or equivalent) required; college given preference
- Three years’ experience in secretarial field; preference given to legal experience
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of Civil Procedure, Discovery, local court rules and procedures (specifically, Cook County) is preferred
- Experience with electronic filing in both state and federal court, and docketing, is preferred
- Ability to meet and manage multiple deadlines
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word
- Experience with Power Point and Excel
- Excellent grammar and spelling skills
- Ability to use transcription equipment a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work well under the pressures of deadlines, prioritize and multi-task, and have the ability to move from one project to another
- An aptitude to interface with lawyers, clients and staff
No recruiter calls at this time.
Kutak Rock LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse working environment and to principles that promote inclusive practices. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, domestic partner status, pregnancy, caregiver status, gender stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, AIDS/HIV status, handicap or disability, or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran, or any other legally protected category. The firm will provide reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Applicants requiring accommodation in the job application process should contact the Human Resources Department at 346-6000 or by emailing HRDepartment@KutakRock.com.
Kutak Rock LLP does not accept unsolicited referrals or resumes through our website from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider unsolicited referrals and/or resumes from vendors through our website including and without limitation, search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services and recruiting agencies. Unsolicited referrals and resumes sent to Kutak Rock LLP are deemed gratuitous, and the firm will not be obligated or bound in any way to pay any referral or other fee if a person referred to us through our website is hired from a source other than from the candidate.